Profit

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Greensmith33547, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

2. Duekster

from DFW, TX

And your truck is paid for. I seem to recall a thread of yours asking if this was a hobby right after you bought tires. :drinkup:

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

:drinkup:

Truck gets 10mpg at 4.00$ per gallon thats .40$ per mile in fuel alone. I have insurance figured at .10$ per mile. Replacement cost I have figured at .10$ per mile. Maintance cost I figure at .20$ per mile.
    With that the cost is .80$ per mile.

Sure the truck is paid for along with everything else, but it wont last forever.
    I dont see how you can run a truck much cheaper.

4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. It all adds up.

5. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Here's where I'm at so far. Am I on the right track here?

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Some of the info on your scan got cut off but it looks like you have the right idea.
    In Florida I would likely use 12 months. In Mo go 9

Obviously you know you will not book full 160 hours a month in the beginning. Nor will all 160 hours be billable in most cases.

7. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I saw that. And I meant to type 160 work hours per month, not week.
    I think I'm on the right track. I just don't really know how to figure in how much i'll spend on gas/oil/repairs/etc since it's my first year in the business as well.After adding everything up I'm getting close to the 60-65.00 per hour rate so I'll just stick with that for now and see how it goes. I'll be taking some classes on accounting next semester so that will help.

8. Duekster

from DFW, TX

That seems to be the number most solos come up with.

The productivity factor gets more important when you have workers. You also spread out the overhead cost to more workers and can actually survive on a lower man hour rate but you need to watch these figure closely.

Good luck

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Did you ever get that tail gate ramp? I have about 2 accounts that are out of the way and Im think of "fixing up" the old Pickup.

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I would recommend you scroll down this site a little further and you will find you happen to be the one state that is so weird you have your very own forum. And you will get a nasty dose of reality there the one thing all those guys seem to have in common is they make a lot less per account than the rest of us.

I would also definitely recommend you set up as a S corp or a LLC. So do this read up on all forms of business and talk to your accountant ask him questions and decide weather hes going to remain your accountant.