1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

profitable backhoe work

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ASCHAL45, Mar 13, 2007.

1. ASCHAL45

ASCHAL45 LawnSite Member

What is the most profitable work that yall have done with a backhoe whether it be footers or septic systems or something else
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Backhoes are a definatly a niche market I know around my area backhoes are not used as much as they once were. Septic systems are done with a excavator. Its mainly utility work putting in water lines when working on pavement. Only one contractor in the area does nothing but backhoe work but then again he is very good on a hoe with 25 plus years on a hoe.

The other contractors with backhoes have them for loading trucks or when ever they have a gravel spreading job the backhoe gets used.
  3. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say trenching work for a plumber or electrician.Say a 2-4 hour minimum you charge on each job and the basic trench is only a couple hours to dig then off to the next job.

Wouldn't be hard to do 3 small jobs a day if you line things up right.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

snow is a great way to make cash off the hooooooooooo
  5. thebobcatkid86

thebobcatkid86 LawnSite Member

I would still prefer a mini-ex (3.5-4ton) for that stuff. But I suppose if you've already got it and you're not trying to work in real cramped quarters.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the utility trenching around a house for the plumbers and electricians is mostly done with a mini. Electricians really don't like shoveling so they make the home owners have a machine dig the trenches. One of the projects in the area called one of the local contractors with a mini to come and dig a 4 foot long trench because the electrician refused to operate a shovel.
  7. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

septic systems we put them on the sides of some bad hills here and being you have to be in natural ground the backhoe is the best at this, dad just dropped 85 grand on a 420e!!!!!
  8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

utility trenching and setting the vault and then the backfill..backhoes can be pretty handy for that.