ProGator SDI sprayer with FieldJet / Boom XTender nozzles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by brian10048, Aug 4, 2011.

1. brian10048

brian10048 LawnSite Member

Anyone using a ProGator with either the SDI or John Deere sprayer?

I am outfitting mine for large commercial properties and rights-of-way and was curious to see if anyone has been using TeeJet FieldJet nozzles or Hypro Boom XTender nozzles.

Or if you are using similar nozzles on another type of sprayer.

I'm just looking for ideas for mounting locations and any experience you guys might have had setting up and calibrating these nozzles.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Brian

I have both nozzles, each on a separate boom. I also have the XP BOOMJET right and left side nozzles on a separate set up. I looked at the Boominator nozzles but I have yet to try them.

The Reason I have all 3 types is because I have a used Toro Multi-Pro from a Golf Course that I rebuild. The boom was trash, so I went Boom Less. I am using the sprayer for Fire Ant control or straight Insecticide jobs only at present time. I would like to find more markets for this machine but I fear the Over spray from the Boom Less nozzles. I have my Walker mower set up as a Spread & Spray also. But I have it set up with NO over spray issues what so ever.

I am interested in what ever market you are doing ROW work. I have fooled with Chemical mowing for well over 10 years and have never been able to sell the Idea to Local Government.

I would be more than happy to help you set up and calibrate your sprayer. However I am not typing a book about it on the net. If you PM your phone number and best time to call I will try and walk you though calibration.

3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

brian heres some advice. when you talk to ric have your pad of paper ready bc the info will be flowing....i know when i call him i get my paper ready to write so i can remember it all....

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Karl

That because I Baffle you with Bull Crap because I can't Dazzle you with Brilliance.

5. BShaffer

BShaffer LawnSite Member

ric

we have touched on this , but what do you think the limiting factor with local gov. not buying into chem mowing.Poltical? I have thought about this for a few months and can't come to a conclusion. Here one of the local parishes "counties" are currently bidding a contract for 1200 acres to be maintained by cutting 38 times thru out the year. Seems like kind of a no brainer to me.... interested to hear your thoughts. Seeing the pics of your lawn I dont know what I expected but it looked great. Do you chem mow All warm season turfs? ( bermuda, st aug, centipede, bahia)

Also there was a very large ROW contract just put out also. I ll get ya the numbers if I think about it.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The resistance to actual VM versus mowing can actually be political. I know in my state, any usage of herbicides on public areas is met with askance and disapproval. Thinking about this rationally, thanks to the no kill, cut only policy, invasive species are allowed free run of a very delicate ecosystem. I do believe in the saying that "you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet." It does not look pretty when some vines or trees get offed, however the long term consequences of letting them grow are much worse.

It is also a matter of convention as well. People are used to the idea of having to mow an area all the time. I do not sell VM per application, I sell it per year. The area is kept free of noxious and invasive for a 365 day period starting the day I actually apply product. Weed breakthroughs are covered in my per year price and I do make good on this. Even if it means spot treating an area with a hot mix a few months after the initial application.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

To answer the OP, I put a Hypro Boom X-Tender nozzle on my spray truck to treat fencelines. I set it up to spray 10 ft in front and 10 foot behind the fence. This is controlled with a Teejet automated controller and powered by a standard Hypro D30 pump. When operated at less than 50 PSI, there is very little drift and the pattern is rather even for a single nozzle. It sure beats how ROW areas are normally done here: Person standing in the back of the truck with a tree gun.

8. GrasGuru

GrasGuru LawnSite Member

I'll be looking into equipment such as this for the coming season. In the thread I started a few days ago I was discussing ROW spraying. I believe there is a signifigant market in my area for fencelines, commercial lots, gravel driveways, salvage yards....and the list goes on. I pretty much know how I will market it. The man I spoke about in the earlier thread used a Polaris with a 50 gal tank a boom, JD9.on a reel and a boomless nozzle setup. I am learning as much as I can about it and gathering as much information as I can about it at this time. I'd like to be prepared for bare ground, bermuda release and even chemical mowing by this coming season. I'd like to hear more about everyones opinions on the subject of equipment recommendations for the type operations I mentioned.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Shaffer

I think each case can be different but Green Doctor does bring up Tree Huggers which IMHO are killing our industry. I have found two other major stumbling blocks. First is Government wage slaves afraid to they might Rock the boat. This would fall under UNINFORMED decisions and there are few more like that including the Granola fruits & Nuts.

INFORMED decision that blocked me was the fact we have Calcareous Sandy Soil with a pH of 9.5. ROW are sodded with Pensacola Bahia which dies out in a few years because of the pH. The sod is there just long enough for the weeds to take over.

I did a search here for Chemical Mowing and found my first post about it in November of 2001. A successful chemical mowing program is very depend on a MONOSTAND TURF. Each species is effected different by a PGR. Take Primo for example the St A rate is 4.5 to 6 oz per acre. Bermuda is 33 oz per Acre and Bahia is 44 oz per acre. I have been fooling with Chemical Mowing for a long time and I am still not an expert on it.

GrassGuru

I have dreamed the same dream and even had a few money makers projects killing out weeds. But you are going to have to market this heavy and at a affordable price so John the Janitor doesn't do it after his coffee break.

NEED BUT NO DEMAND. I started a thread about Niche markets but made the point that there are a lot of areas that have a NEED but no DEMAND for services. Industrial storage yards and driveways etc were on that list. I even tried marketing it with Fire Ant Control. There are lot of NEEDS and no DEMAND to pay for that need. But then if the ROW Guy thought that 20 years ago, he would be where he is today. Green Industry is a business and Marketing ones self is the most important thing in Business.

10. GrasGuru

GrasGuru LawnSite Member

Ric, It will definitely take some initiative, a little shoe leather and some personal selling along with some standard advertising. I will use the salvage yard as an example because it does a great job of nailing my point. He would approach a salvage yard operator and get permission to give a free quote. If eyes popped at the price, he would explain it to them like this. He would tell them that they could get a couple of guys to weed eat between each of the cars and keep everything nice and neat. About the time they got it done(or very soon afterward) it would be time to start it again.Or they could buy "homeowner" herbicide and spray it themselves with substandard results.(short residuals andnecessary touch-ups. Either way,they would be out the labor, time and possibly equipment and/or product to have this done(depending on whether he hired it out or had employees perform the task) and it would be an ongoing "hassle" or they could pay him to spray it, usually twice per year with a "touch up" app in between. The results would be guaranteed, the hassle would be zero for the salvage yard owner and the cost over the course of the year was usually much less. Once he brought things into perspective, he usually got the work. Maybe not immediately, but eventually. He said he could drive up and down rows of cars shooting a JD9 between them then use his boom to broadcast between rows. He said he could knock one out fairly quickly with lasting results when the right equipment and mix was used. I think you're right though. Not many are going to knock down my door to have this done, I'm going to have to knock down theirs.