Program for zoysia in the Mid Atlantic

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jondcoleman, Mar 12, 2008.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Hey Everyone,

99% of my customers have cool season grasses but a few have zoysia grass. I was wondering if some people could give me a basic program recommendation for Zoysia. I know that right now the hassle of having to do it might not be worth it but I discovered from one of my clients that the guy doing his fert and squirt last season did not want to offer anything specialized for zoysia so I figure this could be a semi-untapped market here.

I am in MD.

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

As zoysia is a warm season grass, in a transition zone, you only need to apply about 1/2-1 lb N per month in April, May, June. I wouldn't apply to non irrigated, low traffic lawns past July 4. You could get by with fewer N applications, if you use a long term slow release. Don't apply 3 way, trimec, or other broadleaf weed killers without first consulting the label, they have a way of taking all of the color out of zoysia for a couple of weeks. Best weed control is to use Roundup in mid march to early April, before it comes out of dormancy. They used to let you burn off zoysia lawns here before all of this global warming crap started, it was the best way to break dormancy, and kill weeds!:blob2::blob2:
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

We apply about 3/4 lb of N at a time here. We never spray it with R-up because it never goes completely dormant. You can treat it the same way you treat Fescue just less N. Too much N will cause brown patch and Rust fungus. Like the previous post said the more slow release the better.
  4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Atrazine or simazine are good herbicides to use in zoysia. They will help keep down broadleafs and well as volunteer cool season grasses. It is also true that zoysia will tolerate the warm season grass rate of Three Way, but not the cool season rate and Turflon will damage it a little. There is a reason why there is a rate for cool season, warm season and st augustine.
  5. jondcoleman

So no more fert after June?

And how about Momentum? Anyone no if that is safe to apply. This guy has a ton of chickweed in the yard. Thanks for the replies!

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Up north we use the same program on zoysia as on all our cool-season grasses. For chickweed (which is a winter annual) I would suggest a weed treatment in late fall. Charge accordingly--use backpack if your equipment is put away for the winter.
  7. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Jon- if the lawn is irrigated, you probably can fertilize in July and August, but if not, better to err on the safe side. Momentum contains trichlopyr, will take the color right out of zoysia, won't kill it, mind you, but will set it back a week or three. I just sprayed one with roundup last week, you are probably ok till the end of March, the first time you spray roundup, broadcast, over the top of a lawn, is the most difficult, kinda goes against everything you might have been taught. Nothing is more convincing than dead chickweed pushed out by new growth of the zoysia!:dizzy:
  8. jondcoleman

Thanks again for the insights. I think I'll try the roundup... It is kinda scary though.

9. jondcoleman

Cool. Thanks. I wasn't aware that it was a winter annual.
  10. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be scared to use round-up right now as well. Its starting to get a little late for it.

I would use something like a "bentgrass selective" herbicide, Eliminate-D, or Speedzone Southern(in cooler temps); something with less or no 2,4-D, and NO triclopyr.