Program question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rinker97, May 17, 2005.

1. Rinker97

Rinker97 LawnSite Member

Hi,

I was wondering what you guys do when setting up a controller with multiple programs. Do you set up program A for front rotors, B for rear rotors, and C for all spray heads? Or do you just set up program A to do everything and not use the other programs (like mine is)? Or 3 programs for all zones with different run lengths?

Just looking to improve my programs.

Thanks

Rinker

2. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey Rinker97------

If you water all the yard, on the same days of the week, then just one program will work. The different programs give you more flexibility with your watering schedule. If you wanted to break up the schedule, you could utilize the other programs, like different start times for different areas of the yard. You can make it simple, or customize it. Just because you have sprays and rotors, doesn't necessarily require different programs.

If you don't have the instruction manual for your controller, you can go to the manufacturer's web-site and get more info. and even download what you need.

See ya---kerdog

3. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

1 program only...kiss method :)

4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I will use another program often for drip zones, which I like to set up with different schedules than the turf. Also, if I have an area of turf on a zone that gets plastered by the hot afternoon sun, I may set that zone on another program with a different schedule.

If you've just put down seed for a new lawn you will want to keep the ground moist, but without putting down so much water as to cause erosion or runoff. With multiple programs this helps. Program A could very briefly water the turf several times in the morning, and Program B would take over for the afternoon. Lots of options...

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right or of you have a hill that was just planted with new groundcover you want to keep the errosion to a minimum but water enough to get the cover started,then you would use b..say A for lawn..C-for flower beds ..B - for the hill.. C what I mean?
    B carefull though this can get confusing,so write down what you schedual and keep it by the controller dated as to when you made the changes,then keep a close eye on things to make sure the changes were good and not bad.