Programs and examples?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Jan 10, 2008.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Last year i did one round of dimension and this year i am doing a split application. I am wondering what every bodies feeling is regarding this situation. Should i do a split app or is one app of dimension good enough. Also, how many steps do you guys do.

Last year i had a five step program but it only involved 4 fert applications. My second app was strictly weed control. It worked because is was an easy sell. I was wondering what every bodies input is regarding this situation.

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in the middle of developing my program now.

Things I will consider:

1. The native soil. In my area, iron is generally pretty high. The natural pH tends to be on the low side, but I won't lime without a pH test first. LI has low natuarl pH, but New Jersey has a high pH.... we actually get our lime from NJ and PA here. Knowing the native soil profile is the first thing one has to understand. A great program in OH might not work in my area.

2. A lot of weed problems can be fixed with the right N-P-K balance. If it's a problem lawn, and one I just picked up, a soil test is almost imperitive. Even something like low manganese can cause uptake problems.

3. Depending on the growing season, 4 ferts is a bit on the light side, but with carefully chosen SCU's, I think it can work. Turf should get 3 lbs of N per year, at least on LI according to the most recent extension studies.

As far as weed controls, I like a spring crabgrass pre-emerge, a broadleaf post emerge app in late spring, and another pre-emerge in the fall. Spot spraying as needed. I think one spring pre-emege is fine as long as it is applied at exactly the right time. My rule of thumb besides growing degree days is not when the forsythia bloom, it when they turn green. Any earlier, and the crabgrass isn't germinating.

I'm still learning, so am open to any critisisms, but I think I have a handle on what I've posted here. Now I have to go through product selection. I'm interested to hear other's opinions on this as well.