progressive 521 operating

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by turfman59, Jul 1, 2003.

1. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

now how do you know when you actually get to the valve...

does it make a ping thats louder or what ???

I understand it tracks the wire, but will it track the bundle or will it track a seperate wire buy itself ?

will it find a cut in the wire or nick ???

2. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

It will get louder when you are over the wire. Plus the signal will stop when you go past it. It will track one wire but it the wire is nicked it might bleed into another nicked one. If i remember right a nick will stop the signal. then dig it up and start trackng again. Be careful if you are wearing steel toed shoes. You might get a shock when you stand close to the box, a friend of mine would get shocked every time in steel toe but me in tennis shoes would not. strange.

3. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

When I would pass over the vavle I was looking fer it would make a different kind beeping sound. I found it was hard to find the vavle I was lookin fer. But when you are over the wire that you are connected to it will stop beeping while you are over the wire now after you go to either side it will start beeping again. Hope this helps. Make sure you have a long screwdriver with ya.

4. turfman59

so it will track a single zone or wire...

the long screw driver is a great idea about 10" long

5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

The instructions with the unit are very informative. Follow them if you have the unit.

The unit does not ping. It emits a steady tone when you are on either side of the wire. The volume fades as you get farther from the wire. When directly over the wire there is a "null" or no tone or sound. It is a very small area so you can pinpoint the wire. When over a wire coil like a solinoid or a bend in the wire you get a hot spot. The sound level will spike as will the meter on the receiver. It is important6 not to set the unit to too much gain or to too high an output on the sending unit. That way the wire coils show up better in sound and visually on the meter.

First you must track the entire path of the wire only, marking the hot spots for potential valve locations. Do thgis by putting one wire from the sender on the common and the other to ground via a flag or screwdriver. We also use the screw heads on a breaker panel or stuff a nail in the ground port of a convenient receptacle or loosen the screw on the cover plate of a receptacle and clip onto it.

To find individual valves one wire stays on the common and theother on the valve you are searching for. All valves will have an elevated sound but the one your hooked too will scream. The wire makes no sound at all. That is why you trace path first then valve hunt second.

Bend your butt over and get close to the ground when doing this. Not all valve huints are alike and being to far above the lawn may seriously weaken signal and frustrate the attempt. Also sweep back and forth 2-3 ft on each side of the wire path as you trace it. Work slowly. Some valves may be off set more than others. Patience and attention to detail is rewarded. Practice on some known systems first.

Occasionally some controller make pick up and through off some interference. Kill controller power before doing this. Hiodden dog fence is aslo another problem. Kill power to that. 2 times I had tghe electric co come out and kill power at the transformer to stop interference but that was really rare and I don't know why.

6. turfman59

Thanks Harold

that gives me a real clear picture of this piece of equipment operationaly.

7. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Good job of explaining it. I suck at trying to explain somin. :D

8. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

But you guys type better or use the spell check. :cool:

9. Hugh

Hugh LawnSite Member

Is Progressive the only wire locater on the market?

10. toddsand

toddsand LawnSite Member

The guys at Horizon were telling me about a new one on the market but I don't remember what it was, anyone else know anything about it?