Progressive Link Thumbs?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RockSet N' Grade, Dec 3, 2006.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I have a direct link werk-brau thumb. Thinking of switching over to a progressive link like the PSM Series2. Anyone use or have any thoughts on progressive link thumbs?

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The big difference is more range of motion. I never run a machine with a progressive link thumb as all the machines here are direct mount.

I think the one drawback of the progressive link thumb is the thumb doesn't tuck up against the boom.

3. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Have a pro link thumb on my 35 deere mini-x and love that thumb,would not go back!!!!I haded my thumb redone to be a pro link thumb and you can see a before and after of the redo,and the thumb still hits the same boom stop so the thumb does not stick out anymore than it did before went it is closed.

DSCN0023.JPG

DSCN0165.JPG

minimax

DSCN0023.JPG

DSCN0165.JPG

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Don't even question a link thumb, go for it, you'll be glad you did. And the PSM thumbs will more than likely tuck under the boom, the thumb on our 312 was built by PSM (Series 2) and it did.

5. RockSet N' Grade

Thanks guys. I was reading about CWS and their direct link thumb and has 135 degree motion. CWS progressive has 180 degree range of motion. PSM series2 max. rotation progressive link has 162 degrees range of motion. I have a direct link werk-brau and checked their site and they did not advertise a progressive link. Looks like phone calls Monday to find out more.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

PSM is about as good as it comes. The only point in the rotation where you can't touch thumb to bucket is when the thumb is fully retracted, the bucket doesn't reach all the way to the thumb. With the bucket rolled all the way out, the thumb covers all of that range of motion, which is where it actually counts. I love PSM thumbs, CWS is good, but I think PSM's series II is just a little better. And the joke of it is, here in the PNW, all the Cat's with thumbs are actually re-branded PSM thumbs.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You know that that means when Cat rebrands something soon as their yellow paint and name is added to a aftermarket part you can count on a extra 500 dollars :laugh:

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You're right, but we got that thumb for basically nothin!

9. RockSet N' Grade

I'd like to know what "basically nothing" is. I called werk-brau and they will make me a progressive link system for my machine BUT I will need a new cylinder, new linkage and heck, since we're at it, throw in a new thumb too! All for the simple low price of $4200 plus freight. Gonna check out the PMS (typo error on purpose) prices tomorrow. Oh yea, the werk-brau progressive link has 142 degrees of motion....PMS has a published 162 degree and CWS has 180 degree....will check out CWS on weds.