project @ home Take 2

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MarcSmith, Oct 1, 2007.

1. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Since the other thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=200170 was closed. I figured I post some pics of the job, prior to any clean up and Cold patch to fix the street(oopsie)

The old and new pavers blended well together, a testament to the color holding ability of the hannover pavers. I'm not happy with the transition from the walkway to the driveway, there are a couple high spots, (nothing that holds water), and if I run a string line down the drive form the center of the garage, the bricks wander just a bit form side to side.

All In all, I am very happy(which is key) and now I just have to get rid of one pallet of 6" pavers.....

100_6574.jpg

100_6575.jpg

100_6577.jpg

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahhh nice work. After a good clean, it'll look beautiful!

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sorry Marc, it doesn't really look good. The reasons are what you already posted, but if your happy........

Chris

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

How come there aren't any mowing toys in the garage? Are they all back at the shop?

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok thought process time......the least screwable method (to the eye) is to run the pavers parallel to the house. Why run them perpendicular?

lot easier to get 20 feet straight than 75 and even if your 20 feet is off a little you wont notice it pulling in the drive.

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

two words K pattern

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

pull a string line and use an edging shovel........don't think i've seen all 6x6s before......congrats for div'n right in

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Marc, I have to agree with Chris (mostly cuz Marcus isn't here that much anymore).

Seriously though, you should have ran the string when you were laying to achieve straightness.

Also, Koot mentioned running perp to the driveway to lessen the effect.... which is true, but ICPI would also tell you to run perp to the direction of vehicular traffic for more strength.

I applaud you for your effort. It's too bad that you could have easily avoided some of the little things that scar the job with a little more research.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Thats why they say "If you want a proffessional job, hire a proffessional."

A string line is the cheapest tool i own.

10. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Wheres the interlock?? That pattern.. or I should say..lack of pattern has no interlock. The rows of pavers will shift along the straight lines and look horrible. I can already see rows that aren't straight. If you laid the pavers left to right, and overlapped each next row (stack bond), that would be fine.

The driveway is not pitched correctly either. You can see by the sand how it washed down and towards the right (ending by the ornimental grasses). This area may pool and cause ice buildup over the winter, and/or cause your vehicle to slide towards that wall block.