1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Project John Deere 317

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mower&more1986, Sep 14, 2007.

1. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

2. mower&more1986

almost got the motor pulled but I think I'm going to need something like a engine picker to pick up engine
    because I dont think I'm strong enough to do it by myself and pretty much all my friends abandoned me. sucks doing things by yourself but when your so called friends want money or stuff for do work they never do. I still pretty angry with the guy that said that he tuned it up and change the oil which he did not do.
  3. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

actually--as far as ive learned--the 317's originally came with a kt17 kohler engine--a points system--after a lawsuit with kohler--which jd lost--they replaced them with onans--a damn expensive engine--i have one with the original kohler--which i will rebuild--as it costs far less than a kohler---
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, So you learned how good your friends really are huh ?

I had the same thing happen when I was a young lad, Decided I don't help friends and friends don't help me.

It's time you learn to figure out how to do things yourself, If you want to work at a job shop you won't be able to ask someone for help all the time because they have their own work to do.

I have pulled automotive engines,transmissions, completely assembled front clips, even the cab and bed off the truck I'm restoring all by myself.

All you have to do is analyze the situation and decide how bad you need to do the task, Then figure out how you can safely do it by yourself.

Sure you are, You have the hood off this tractor right ?

Lay a board up on the front of the frame and slide the engine down the board to the floor, Block the tractor from rolling and keep one foot on the board so it doesn't slide off the tractor.
  5. mower&more1986

Picture update
    ive removed the for mounting bolts on the bottom of the engine plate
    i didn’t realize that the engine just set on a plate
    still feels heavy i can lift 50lbs no promblems but dont know about this

6. mower&more1986

the valves look white not great imo
    and when taking apart the side of the engine i found card bourd and grass suprised it did catch on fire while I was mowing but i will clean the engine good when get it pulled

7. mower&more1986

Ive got the motor free. ive got to clear a place to put it and think about my next move
  8. mower&more1986

Well I dont think I'm going to use this for mowing but I'm going to use for pulling. so I'm going to sell the deck and find a diesel engine for it
    maybe somthing like this http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-5HP-DIES...ryZ79670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    what I think i need to find is somthing to just power the driveshaft
    I think the diesel would do with some mods to the tractor and frame or whatever
    and I will also be parting out the old motor
    Ive got to check with some people I know that likes john deere parts and stuff If they want to buy the deck and old motor
  9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

You can buy a mower for just pulling for less then the cost of that motor. Be careful, I foresee you losing a lot of money and time on this.
  10. mower&more1986

too late for that. Ive alreadly lost money because I traded alot of stuff for this to be fixed up by friend which He never did. he had it for two months or more. here a list of stuff I traded
    1983 toro 52" belt drive walkbehind with true traks
    1969? cubcadet 123 with plow running but need work
    19?? craftsman 5speed lawn tractor 18hp twin briggs runing no mower deck
    19?? john deere snowblower 36" 11hp tecumseh
    19?? troy built snowblower 24"? 5.5hptecumseh
    :mad:......:angry: .....................................................he didnt even change the oil:realmad: