Project Look-N-Sharp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 12, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I am one of those who thinks it is important to look sharp out in the field. I'm not talking shiny new trucks and the best of everything. But nice, neat, clean cut and matching.

I have a white truck w/black trim, black trailer, red mower w/charcoal tanks, grey wheels and black trim, a matching trim mower, and a grey blower. In addition, I wear charcoal shorts and red golf shirts.

To me it all looks sharp and neat....well except for the Stihl. It sticks out like a sore thumb against all the other color cordinated stuff. So I figured it was time to change that!

So I did just that and I thought I would post how I did it so that anyone else that wants to know how to look sharp can do so too.

How it was done coming up next.....

2. Envy Lawn Service

I had to get rid of that orange for either red, charcoal, grey, black or white. So it was either buy a new trimmer or get creative. Problem was that the orange part was plastic and I have never had any luck painting the stuff. The paint always comes off.

So I found myself something new to try. Krylon has a new paint out called Fusion paint. It's supposed to bond to plastic without any prep, sanding or primer. So I picked up a can of red at Wal-Mart. Costs around $4 a can.

I removed the orange plastic over the engine which took removing a whole 2 srews, simple! Then I took off the guard which took removing 4 screws.

I took the engine cover and sprayed it down with Spray Away C-60 solvent. That was to remove any oil spatters from the exhaust port. Then I rinsed it with water. After that I followed the directions on the paint can and used an ammonia based cleaner to wipe it down. I used Lysol foaming cleaner. After that I rinsed it again with water and allowed it to air dry.

Once it was completely dry, I went ahead and taped up what I didn't want painted over. Then I began painting the inside first. I applied several light coats, waiting around 15-20 minutes between coats, until it was like I wanted. Then I turned it over and did the same for the outside.

After allowing the paint to cure for a while, I re-installed the engine cover. Pictures up next....

3. Envy Lawn Service

Here is the rear view of the finished product :D

dsc_544.jpg

4. Envy Lawn Service

Here is a front view....this should look much better against my red shirts when I'm trimming....gotta look sharp!!!

dsc_546.jpg

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I could do that because when I was replacing the recoil cord that took me 40 mins and it was a pain.

I really enjoy painting things. I try to touch up every piece of equip that has a scratch and put turtle wax on.

C'mon lets c the pics. :D

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Looks great! I have painted many plastic objects. The key is to use a flexible paint. I suppose the stuff you used was. It is actually much easier to use then regular paint. It is almost impossible to get runs in your paint. I would rather paint plastic over any other material.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that does look sharp. I need to do that with my Stihl's

8. tnt-g

tnt-g LawnSite Member

This year we put alot of money into uniforms. Our colors are grey, orange, and khaki. Everyone wears khaki button up mechanic shirts and charcoal grey shorts. We have khaki hats and black hats all with the tnt logo. We look real sharp out there and we are taking Reno over.

tnt.gif

9. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

And you had time to do this when? I recall reading post about you not getting bids or other companies "low bidding" you. One thing is for sure, if a job scope calls for matching colors you're all over it. :rolleyes:

10. mpflood

mpflood LawnSite Member

geen golf shirts is what we do
    you guys need to let go!
    :p