1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Project Mower!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Mar 22, 2008.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 1992 Gravely promaster 30-H with a 30hp yanmar diesel and a 72" deck,the engine is rebuilt,but the rest of the mower needs alot of work.My friend and I were looking at it the other day and thought it would be fun to try to "make" a walkbehind out of it.Imagine a walkbehind with a 72" full floating deck and 23" drive tires! using the diesel is not possible though due to finding room for the hydraulic trans,PTO box and radiator on a walkbehinds frame! I can design and build the entire frame,will look similar to a turf tracer frame,but much wider and longer,and I will use the biggest front casters I can find! My friend is a mechanical engineer, and I can design and fabricate just about anything,so this might just work! We thought about using 2 variable displacement hydro pumps off a ZTR to handle all the weight and probably one of those new 37hp kawasaki air-cooled engines or something similar depending on cost.There was a guy named Frankenscag on here years ago but I havent seen him on here lately,he used to always come up with ideas for mowers and design and build them,he came up with some really neat stuff!Anyone know whatever happened to him? I realize this is a pretty ambitious project, but it will be fun to see what we can build!!!! it may take years to finish,but it should be fun,the old gravely isnt doing anything but taking up space anyway!Any comments or suggestions?I am also loking to sell the yanmar diesel..3 cyl.,30hp,around 2300hrs.,all new gaskets and seals(no leaks at all) waterpump does leak small amouunt of coolant from the weep hole though.Looking to get arond $600. for it.
  2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I guess my first question would be "Why?"

With that said instead of a walkbehind build something along the lines of a stander like a Wright or Great Dane.