Project 'Nothin Special'

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Sep 6, 2010.

1. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I see you use a layer of geo under the sand, do you also use one to separate base and granular. If so I must ask why you choose to go with two layers. Not sure I like the step material or the railings but as long as you're happy and the customer then all is good. Also did you incorporate any grid in that project? I would like to see some in the steps especially at that height.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Haha! I specifically used the photo showing the fabric under the sand! Everytime I do, I find people inquiring about it :) And as I was lookin through all the pics deciding what to display, I said "I'm gonna use this just to see what comments come from it" :)

We have use 2 layers of fabric from day one, beginning 14 years ago. Derived from an observation made when we did our first paver job, which was a re-do of someone elses patio. Naturally, fabric is placed under the aggregate.

To this day, we have NEVER used grid on steps, with no plans of doing so, with the exception of steps installed on an embankment or hillside.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. zedosix

In your first picture how did you address the compaction under the extended patio door.

4. DVS Hardscaper

There is nothing installed under the cantilever that needs compacted. But the trick to compacting in places with limited ceiling is to use a BLOCK as a tamper......

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  5. zedosix

I really hate having to do that because our area is heavy clay and the settling takes years. I have in the past poured concrete under the overhang, then built a separate wall to basically separate that area from the steps. It works but it does take alot of extra time and money.

Clermont project 025.jpg

6. greatinmulchbeds

greatinmulchbeds LawnSite Member

in the last picture....i hope no one trips out the door, pool looks kinda close

7. zedosix

The pool was very close. Made it easy to dive in the pool. Step does look a little high doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Clermont project 005.jpg

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Bet that was fun.

9. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

I'd jump in from the steps ha ha!

10. DVS Hardscaper

[​IMG]