Project of the Century E-450 Dovetail

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by flatlander42, May 12, 2011.

1. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm just going to begin this thread tonight. I will post more pics as time allows. My "photobucket" is super slow and often causes me problems. But I will give it a GO anyways.

Ford E-450. It was an Ambulance, And now is a Mowing Truck.

Like I said, I will continue the story. Here are a few pics to get your taste buds warmed up. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flatlander42

I have a hard time spending $$$$ when I think I can "MAKE" it. So I found an old grain truck flatbed that was in good shape, and that is where it all begins.

[​IMG]

3. flatlander42

Just another pic of her in Bare Form.

[​IMG]

4. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

What a TURD!!!! Haha just kidding that is a great idea! What kind of bed do you plan on putting on it? Keep as the flat you made, or have a box? Or just go all out and have a dump? Either way cool idea!

5. flatlander42

When the bed was upside down on the flatbed pickup in the eariler pic I took the two Beams and chopped them off, cleaned them up and layed them flat. That saved ~5" of overall bed height. I'll try to find pics of that.

Here it is going onto the van. Handy to have a tractor around to flip the bed and lift er up.

[​IMG]

Yes, I just strapped it down to drive it back to my house. 60miles. There are more straps on that bed than you can shake a stick at!

[​IMG]

6. flatlander42

I went ahead and cut off about 3' from the original bed. The piece I put on for the new back is SUPER thick and heavy. I think it was part of a grain elevator leg or something. About 1/2" thick 7" channel iron. Ignore the chit sitting around in my pics.....there is going to be a Bunch of random stuff in the backround....LOL

[​IMG]

7. flatlander42

Turd eh? Not everybody's cup of tea I know that allready. My brother thinks I'm nuts.

13' flatbed with a REMOVABLE Dovetail.

8. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

looking interesting so far, what did you use for the back on the cab ?

9. flatlander42

I cheaped out and just used some sheet metal and a window out of an old truck sleeper. Not the best for interior space...but it'll do for a while.

10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Awww damn...I will be watching....if I built that it would fall right apart! hahaha