Project of the Century E-450 Dovetail

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by flatlander42, May 12, 2011.

1. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

LOL!!!!

I Wouldn't say going from my Navigator to this would be a move "up"!

But I was on a hunt for something lighter, and this one fit the ticket!

I do still have the Walker MB, and the Navigator. The Navigator will hold on to backup duty, and the Walker will be used on Hills.

2. flatlander42

The BigDog SUCKS on hills. I had the bar up and the seatbelt on!!!!! I'm sure that my Navigator will go where the Bigdog went and WOULD NOT GO, safer to! It was like I was on ice.

I'll tell ya what...I have only used out front mowers, and have read on here about them being "bad" on hills. Compared to the new mower that is totally false.

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

An Exmark or Scag midmount will go straight up tractionwise but can flip over backward. Frontmounts will wheelspin long before that point. Maybe BigDog has the same hydro pump wheelmotor issues the Super Z's had. Will not have enough power to go up a hill. Hard to say, but it is a nice looking mower but the hill thing seems strange.

4. flatlander42

The hills that I mow are long and about 6 passes wide. Yes, it would go right up them....but then what? Whent sliding back to the bottom. I could not mow crosswise *sp*. My walker will go side to side on the hills so nice w/limited wheelspin. Even if it would spin, at least I could stop the thing and back back where I was.

I'm probably not used to the world of mid-mount mowers....I only have about 19 hours on a/this mid-mount mower. NOT counting my dads junk airens zmower from 15 years ago.

5. MJB

from Wa

Haha. Did you point it downhill and find out the hard way. There is definately a learning curve. My midmounts sidehill way better than my Walkers, but my midmounts were wider so maybe that helped.

If you want to have some fun going downhill, make sure you have some room at the bottom to stop. But with midmounts you can point them downhill start out slow and if you sense that your loosing traction gradually speed up. This will regain the lost traction, let the engine hold it back while increasing speed slowly, do not try to stop until you reach the bottom where it levels out. I use to get into some scary predicaments and found out I could drive out of it, but slamming on the brakes only makes things worse.

6. flatlander42

The Walker I keep refering to is a MB. Low and Lightweight. I does way better than the bagging walkers. I even thought of getting different tires and just making it my hillside mower!:weightlifter:

Yeah, the places I mow all have plenty of room at the bottom...so I suppose it is "kinda" safe to learn on.

7. MJB

from Wa

My Walkers were all 90's models, back then you bought adifferent deck according to your needs. They were great for bagging, but the side discharge deck back then just didn't compare to my GHoppers. I know they have improved a lot. The MB seems like an expensive hillside mower, do you use it anywhere else? How does it compare to your Big Dog, side discharging?

Which deck did the Big Dog end up with, I heard the old tried and true Hustler deck? Looks like it cuts well.

8. FerrisDiesel

FerrisDiesel LawnSite Senior Member

I absolutely love the fact, that you can back right up the ramp, and dump the grass clippings right there in the truck. It would be so cool if you could throw an easy dumper up in the front of the bed and make it dump off the side of the truck!

9. flatlander42

Not only is the MB an expensive hillside mower....but it has been paid off for a few years, and is also used for a snowblower in the winter. So it is definately worth keeping around.

The deck on the walker is OK at best. I was close to buying a bigger deck because I wanted one with 3 blades. The 48" leaves cut grass under the deck, just don't quite shoot it all out when the grass is thick. Weekley mowing it does real nice tho. The deck is a '97, so it could very well be the same as your talking about.

The deck on the Bigdog....I'm not sure if it says. I'll have to check/look and see.

10. flatlander42

yes, that is the next project, Not sure if I'll get to it this summer...maybe this winter if I'm lucky!