Project of the Century E-450 Dovetail

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by flatlander42, May 12, 2011.

1. IES

IES LawnSite Senior Member

Nice work. Are you worried about the dovetail dragging if you have some inclines? It maybe is just they way I'm looking at the pic. Nice welds
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

That is/was a concern of mine too. I looked around and seen so many campers with worse tail ends, let alone car trailers and the various other rigs.

And the more I thought about it, I can't recall ever driving where it would be a problem. Soooo, I hope I'm in the clear!

3. flatlander42

Headache rack on. Still need to fasten the sheet metal somehow. Oh yeah, the decals are gone too!!!!

[​IMG]

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, might need to get a lift assist, that thing does look heavy as heck.

Are all the photos taken a couple of weeks ago? I don't see any leaves on the trees?

5. flatlander42

Most of the pics are from this spring. Some are sadly kinda old tho.

And as far as the gate assist goes....keep your eye on some future pics.

6. flatlander42

One reason why I'm happy to have two garages!

You can see in this pic the extra angle iron that got put on the dovetail for more support. Also, there is two 2" pieces of channel on the gate that were not in the older pics.

[​IMG]

7. flatlander42

what do you all think so far? Anything you'd like to add? kinda quiet around here....

8. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a sweet rig. Looks like you got a lot done in a short period of time.

9. flatlander42

oh yeah, here is the hinge that I made. The entire setup should be slid about 1 or 2 inches to the left....It works great as far as flipping the entire gate forward goes. It won't allow it to go down....past straight very far tho. It should not be a problem. If it becomes a problem I can always just drill another hole on the dovetail side up an inch or so.

[​IMG]

10. flatlander42

It is an illusion!!!

I bought the truck about a year ago. I have a book of reasons why it has taken so long. Kids, my work, my wifes work, money....ect. There are times when I could not work on it but for a few hours a week.

Either way, I'm almost done. I'm just taking time posting pics. It is more fun to see progress pics instead of a before and after.