1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Project of the Century E-450 Dovetail

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by flatlander42, May 12, 2011.

1. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to give you credit, you're getting it done! I'd be still stuck on what to do first. Really enjoying the thread.

2. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

No worse than any of these pics..... Or any Camper, youhaul, handibus, school bus....ect. Hell, even almost any landscape body I've seen is this bad if not worse.

IF it were to bottom out....wouldn't the trailer jack on my little 5x8 trailer be scuffing the ground everywhere? Notice my username?? LOL Time will tell I guess.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. flatlander42

My main concern is the tire clearance. I may have to cut a radius above the tires.

4. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

5. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Could you lift the bed or would that alter the geometry of the ramp

6. Tyler's Lawn Maintenance

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Are you planning on putting sides on the dovetail?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Tyler's Lawn Maintenance

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device

8. stang2244

stang2244 LawnSite Senior Member

Fun to see these projects. I just did a smaller version of this on a chevy 2500. You mention the reason for the hinge design but do you think it catches that much wind with the expanded metal? Seems like opening and closing it would be alot easier if you only had to bring it to vertical and not beyond that, if that makes sense. What angle did you make the dovetail and how long is it? Also how long is the gate? Looks like you put some good thought into it with your removable design. I like it! You going to do any trimmer racks/baskets, etc...?

9. flatlander42

The gate is not split because I don't want a hinge in the middle.

Sides on the dovetail.....Yes.

Racks? Yes

Expanded metal will catch a bunch of wind. Even if it was a tube structure w/o any mesh it would catch wind. Do some reading about sandrails and the guys say that their car actually has more drag with the tubes exposed. The cars become faster when they put the panneling on them.

Last year I pulled one of my fathers trailers around and the thing had a ramp that was pry 8' tall. It was just a skinny 13' long single axel trailer, nice and light. That stupid thing was harder to pull than the 16' tandem axel trailer I pulled the summer before.

10. flatlander42

I am/was trying to keep the bed as low as possible. I'm sure if I went higher the ramp would have to be longer.