1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Project of the Century E-450 Dovetail

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by flatlander42, May 12, 2011.

1. mowandblow1980

mowandblow1980 LawnSite Member

Great project. Im def subscribing to this thread. Cant wait to see finished product.
  2. Tyler's Lawn Maintenance

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Approximately how long has it taken to build this and have you used it in the field with it in the state it is in now? Looks like a great project and you did an amazing job on it! I don't think we have a problem with our gate sticking straight up on the NPR or on our 20ft trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

We need to see some more progress!
  4. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

I have had the van for about a year now. If you add the actuall hours I bet I have less than a week or two of total work into it. No, I have only driven it around in "flatbed mode" to get the metal and stuff. I'm going to have all of my poop in a group before BIGFOOT gets a hold of me. Yeah, it is 14.5k gvwr.....and dot numbers will probably be needed.

It is still as seen in the pics posted here. I drilled a few holes and put some nice big bolts on the hinges as a stop to keep the gate vertical instead of the spring pulling it down to the front. I will make them easily removeable for the two days when I go out of town and want the ramp to go down to the front. I also began to wire the tail lights in.
  5. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

subscribed. Looks good
    I dont think the bottoming out is as big of a deal as you think ours is alot lower and it takes a sharp spot to hit . I think the wheel releifs will be the major problem at this point when its loaded and has grass it looks like it would be less then 2'' and the truck will need 4'' of wheel travel for suspension travel alone . By the look i am betting the entire side of those rails will be cut in by the time its finished , Good luck ,great project
  6. flatlander42

When there is nothing on the truck there is enough room for about 4 fingers to fit between the side and the tire. With both mowers on it there is room for about 3 fingers. Only the pinky wouldnt fit.

I plan on loading both mowers and going down my street and hitting some of the big dips and seeing if the tire rubs. Then let the cutting begin!.......if needed.
  7. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

thats the fastest way to test it ,you got a good plan if possible hit a railrod track its where we learned of our mistakes lol .
  8. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

Wow nice project. That gave me an idea to put those ramps on my truck. I was thinking of making wood ones so I dont aways have to pull my heavy trailer. interesting
  9. cashishift

cashishift LawnSite Member

where you from in Nebraska?
  10. flatlander42

South Central....and you?