1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by slam13, Jan 23, 2010.

1. slam13

slam13 LawnSite Member

im starting an organic agricultural project in tropical africa. and i was wondering what are the best chainsaws for tropical forest?
  2. Craaaig

Craaaig LawnSite Member

i really like stihl myself, but husqvarna makes an awesome saw as well
  3. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

For you needs I would say Jonsered saws and rolls of standard forestry chain, bars, filters, plugs, etc.

I do own Stihl and Husky saws but..........
  4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I have stihl and husky and both work great.
    The Husky has been really abused, left in the rain, etc and has never failed.

I would look at the area you are working and call the manufacturers and see if they have any dealers anywhere hear the area.
    Invest in a quality handheld sharpener and a bench mount sharpener and everything Constsvcs mentioned.
  5. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

Just what we need, more rain forest destruction for agricultural use.Why not just burn it off like the natives?
  6. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Good point.............what exactly are you harvesting ???
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would be finding out what brands are available where you want to go.

The most reliable saw is this

8. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

Good one! Can't beat an armstrong.
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I was only kidding about a swede saw :laugh:

Before the OP gets excited about buying a saw you would want to find out what kind of parts network there is in Africa.

My preferance is Stihl but you may not beable to use Stihl if there isn't any dealers in Africa for parts.
  10. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

My favorite 3 saw plan is

1- MS460 or MS660. I like my big saws ported. For the MS 460 I'd go 24" 3/8,.050 full chisel,, 32" skip chisel. For the 660, I'd go 36" semi-skip, and 42" full skip.

2- 346XP. Ported, take the cat muffler off, put a non-cat muffler on. 18" bar max. Full chisel.

3- MS200 rear handle. Don't port this one. You could kill yourself with a saw like this ported. The handle on an arborist saw doesn't do that well with kick, when ported, you get a 30-50% gain on cutting speed, but it also means more kickback. Once again, remove the cat muffler and put a non-cat one on. 14" bar, chain doesn't matter b/c with a limbing saw, your generally cutting limbs.

Keep your chain sharp and tensioned correctly.

Skip chain on long bars kicks like po'd mule, so be careful.

AND, GR, don't make fun of swedish saws, they make up half of my saws.