Lawn Care Forum banner

ProLandscape Software by Drafix

138K views 189 replies 83 participants last post by  xtreem3d 
#1 ·
I am sure a lot of you are familiar with this line of software. This company is one of our new sponsors at LawnSite. If you have not had the chance to demo their software, I suggest you visit their site and send away for a free demo. It is top of the line, easy to use, and extensive....I have demo'd the software and I know several install pros who live and die by it. Check them out today - their graphic banner is at the top of the site or go to www.prolandscape.com - intense software!

#27 ·
After purchasing the software, can we install it on two different computers? I would like a copy on my computer as well as my designer to have a copy.

Thanks
Matt

#28 ·
Drafix has a very good support staff. But the upgrades which should have been free was nonexsistant. For instance, we purchased there software three years ago. We do alot of commerical retaining wall systems and we prefer Versa-Loc retaining wall systems. We wanted to incorporate there tech data into our bid sheet. It was in DWF format, to our surprise the program would not open. It was supposed to open many other formats including DWF. We called Drafix support and inquired about our problem. They told us that the filters was outdated and we would have to upgrade to a newer version of there software. Something just didn't fit in my conversation with that company. He was very short with me and almost down right rude. So I made some calls around to other software companies and they explained many things that I didn't know when I purchased there software. We then purchased other design software and the regular upgrades are free including the filters.

If you do large commerical jobs and need Auto Cad designs incorporated into Pro Landscape, make sure Drafix will support newer file viewers. I do have to admit that there 3D images of plants and trees are just about the best on the market today.

#31 ·
Drafto said:
The photo editing software? Took me all of about 5 minutes!

Dan
Yeah...that's not hard at all. The only real problem I had was stretching and sizing of the mulch for beds. Takes a little bit to playing around with to find the selected plants, but not too bad.

#34 ·
Earthworker, this is not a manufacturers forum, so there is no representative from Drifix monitoring it. That would be great if they spent time here and did answer questions. They do help if you call or email them and they do recommend a training group that will come out to you or offers classes you can attend. The users should spend more time sharing information, tips and tricks they have learned to benefit everyone, but it is difficult if you are not in the same room to understand the scenarios. I am hoping during this winter to get time to work more with the software and attempt to master it. I would love to attend training, but it is not convenient or affordable at this time.

Kirk

#35 ·
I didn't know they offered training. Just got their info package that I requested and I don't think it mentioned anything about training. I figured they were a sponsor on this site so they would monitor questions. What can you tell me about training? Where, how long, how much $? I got a new lap top and plan on doing design program. Just need to decide which one. Money doesn't matter within reason as long as program will do what I need and isn't impossible to learn.

#36 ·
All CAD based software will require a steep learning curve. You have to ask yourself or those that use it, what are you trying to accomplish with the software? As long as you realize, it is not much more than a digital pencil in plan mode and a presentation tool in 3D imaging, you won't be disappointed. If you are expecting to be buying "design" software. you will be quite angry. If you can already design, have a good knowledge of plants and other landscape materials, understand placement and have the artistic talent to create landscape designs, the software is worth the time and money spent to acquire and master.

Evergreen solutions is the company that Drafix has the training agreement with. I have not attended, but hear they do a good job with the software. I am hoping that some of the local schools with landscape programs take a step into the future and embrace and teach the use of "design" software. Most seasoned designers prefer a pencil and vellum.
http://www.egreensolutions.com/

I use the plan mode for smaller jobs and the 3D imaging for all my presentations to my clients. I still prefer my designs on vellum and make copies to color and present to clients and installers. There are advantages to the software, but in the year I have owned it, I have not mastered it yet. Hopefully this winter will afford me the time to work more in-depth with the software. With some of the shortcomings of the software as mentioned by Drafto, I have used another software program to do the hardscaping and them import that work into the ProLandscape. It is not a do it all program, and may never be.

Kirk

#39 ·
Dan,

A paver manufacturer. First I created the 3D image with Pro Landscape from a digital photo imported as a JPG. After the plants were installed, it was exported out of PL as a JPG, then imported into the hardscape software to add the pavers and retaining wall. The color, type of materials, and ease of use is much greater and relative in the other software, for hardscape products.

Kirk

#40 ·
I am curious about this, but if you were to purchase the Pro Landscape Software, and use it for your cleints, how much can you get for the drawing. I mean obviously it depends on how much goes into making the drawing. But on an average.

P.S. Can you place pools into the landscape? I am going to be working with a local pool company and I wanted to show them what the projects would look like.

#41 ·
You are correct. How much do you get for your hand drawn design work now. If you are not charging for design work, you are missing out on a very important value service. My design work starts at $500 and goes up substantially depending on the amount of time and effort involved in a design. The drawing is a small part of the whole design process, but is the most visible except for any 3D imaging presentations. A typical design presentation with imaging, blueprint and plant data for a typical suburban property runs from $1500 to about $3000. Hardscaping, structures, pools, spas, ponds, fountains and unusual site condition elevate the price due to research and time spent.

Yes, you can do pools, spas and most any type of water feature you can imagine. For the 3D imaging, it's fantastic. As for the plan view, I have still quite a bit to learn, but also like to have the whole plan in front of me on the drafting table to gain the complete perspective of the property I am working on. You can create a base plan, print it and work on the whole drawing, then perhaps recreate what you have drawn with the program for the client.

Kirk

#42 ·
Crewcutlawncare said:
I am curious about this, but if you were to purchase the Pro Landscape Software, and use it for your cleints, how much can you get for the drawing. I mean obviously it depends on how much goes into making the drawing. But on an average.

P.S. Can you place pools into the landscape? I am going to be working with a local pool company and I wanted to show them what the projects would look like.
yes, you can use pools. I looked at one clients layout and it was sold to him for $150. It included a list of materials that were going to be used. It was about and $8,000 landscape job with included 3 different beds.

#43 ·
I am surprised that people would actually pay for a drawing that someone just made up. I mean I could see if you got the job, then you could place it in with your bid and hide it and everything else. But for just showing them a drawing to get the job, and then having them pay for it when you didn't even get the job sounds highly unlikely.

#44 ·
Crewcut, apparently you don't see the value in landscape design, and that will translate to you potential clients. People pay big money for designs and all that goes with them, because they are created by professionals with experience in horticulture, hardscape, structures and design. The drawing is a small part of the design package. When a design is created correctly, you are taking the clients thoughts and desires, and with your talent, skill, knowledge and site conditions, creating a landscape that will be functional, sustainable and beautiful for them and their home.

You would not and in most states cannot, build a home without a plan. You will be much more successful in business with a plan, and avoid a great deal of unneeded stress. But if you choose to make it up as you go along, your work will reflect that. A well thought out landscape design with plant list and materials list will not only make your life easier, but will giver your client the opportunity to understand what it is you are trying to accomplish. You can easily increase your gross income with artistically created landscape designs, because the client can see and understand the project better and are willing to spend the money to have something they want installed, rather than something you think might be cool. When the cost of a properly installed landscape is between 10%-20% of the value of a home and you are working on a home that would sell from $250k on up, most homeowners want to know where their money is going, before they write the first check.

How can you get the job, unless you have a plan? I can assure you, many folks make a very comfortable living as landscape designers or architects from just drawing the plans and selling them to clients. Many smart landscape installers use independent designers to create landscapes for their clients, rather than have a person on staff that eats into profits everyday. Other designers will work with a group of installers to implement their designs, and some sell the design to the client with the intention of the client doing the install themselves. It stops people from picking up a plant at home depot with no clue and bringing it home without a notion as to where or how it should be planted. If you cannot afford or think a complete design is needed, a consultation may be all that is needed to fine tune or tweak a landscape at an hourly rate. If your clients are only going to spend a few hundred dollars on a landscape, you are right, no need for a designer, but when they are spending tens of thousands and more, everybody needs to be on the same page, and the few thousand spent on plans and pretty pictures will definitely be worth it.

Kirk

#46 ·
Yes, I get paid for my work, all of it, but that is what I do. I do design work and consultations for homeowners, HOA's, property managers, manufacturers, site planners and landscape contractors. Design work is billed out by the hour, or a generalization of the time the design will take.

What is your time and ability worth per hour? Don't forget about overhead, payroll, drawing materials, education, books, computers, software, printers, ink, and the place you keep it all. You also have association dues, trade shows, vehicle, digital camera and a host of other expensive tools that you need to design a landscape well. Does $50 an hour cover all that and make you a profit? How long is it going to take, how many trips to the client, how many times will you have to redraw.

Don't forget on-site consultations, that as an additional revenue source.

So yes, you can go to college, earn a degree as a horticulturist with a specialty in landscape design or complete a degree program, internship and take a test, equivalent to the lawyer's bar exam and become a landscape architect and enter the job market. Once you have accomplished that and have the artistic talent and you get good at what you do, you can earn an outstanding living making designs.

Kirk

#47 ·
That is one problem of this industry. Too many people give away or don't charge enough for professional services. This makes those who do charge look like thiefs. I hve been guilty of this also at times. Try going to a lawyer or doctor or mechanic and see if they will give you a free plan on fixing somethng. It takes years to learn plant materials, drainage,etc and a lot of talent to arange ideas on paper. Hey Dreams is it not possible to do larger plans on Pro Landscape? I was assuming one could change the scale and the program would automatically adjust the drawing.

#48 ·
You can do larger plans, as large as you can print, but you only have the size of your monitor to see what you are doing. It's tough to visualize the plan shrunk down to fit the screen or you only get a segment at a time when enlarged to working size. My intention is to print the base plan, take it to the drafting table and conceptualize, then back to the program to draw. If you want to do it the easy way, hire someone to do it for you. There is nothing easy or simple about CAD design or quality landscape design.

Kirk

#50 ·
As for the plant list, I am not sure. I can tell you there are not enough, or all the plants you would like to have. It is fully customizable, so you can add photos & information for any plant you can get the photo & information for from other sources. Horticopia is compatible and has 8669 plants with data. With Horticopia you are able to add portfolios to increase the number of pictures, but not data as of this time. With Pro Landscape are you looking for the 3D images for plants or the 2D rendering. With the 3D the exact plant is not as important as a photo that resembles what you are trying to accomplish. If you are using it with the proposal mode you must take into account for any changes or substitutions you have made. With the plan mode you can change the text in a callout, so that doesn't present an issue. If you are thinking about buying it, I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you in a PM or email.

Kirk

#51 ·
I have never really used any of these programs. My question is, why can't landscape plans just be drawn in Autocad? I am fairly proficient at it. I haven't seen a lot of designs, but the ones I have seen look like they could easily be made in Autocad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.