Lawn Care Forum banner

ProLandscape Software by Drafix

138K views 189 replies 83 participants last post by  xtreem3d 
#1 ·
I am sure a lot of you are familiar with this line of software. This company is one of our new sponsors at LawnSite. If you have not had the chance to demo their software, I suggest you visit their site and send away for a free demo. It is top of the line, easy to use, and extensive....I have demo'd the software and I know several install pros who live and die by it. Check them out today - their graphic banner is at the top of the site or go to www.prolandscape.com - intense software!

#102 ·
Landscape25 said:
I got a cd from Pro Landscape, it looks a little better than I thought it was. I am in zone 10, does anyone know the extent of the plant selection for zone 10? I think on the cd it said it covers all zones but I only saw up to zone 9. Many plants are different here so I thought the selection may be limited.
I am using Version 11. I pulled up everything (trees, shrubs and flowers) for zone 10 and it loaded 2128 different items. Version 12 should have more.

I take that back, that also included pics of other items....like swimming pools and other pics.

Sorry
Matt

#103 ·
Thanks, that is a decent amount. I need a new computer first, it says you can use an Intel, but my laptop is an Intel Celeron, I am not sure that will work, then there is the mouse that only works on one side :rolleyes: . The idea of only being able to see part of it seems like it may be disturbing, but I guess you get used to it. I like that you can put a survey into it and trace it. The time saved on choosing plants would probably be amazing too.

#104 ·
You do need a fast and powerful computer to run Pro Landscape and not be frustrated by it. You must realize it is a tool in a wide arsenal of tools, you as a designer must use. It is limited by your abilities and shortcomings. The survey feature is convenient, but drawing out a base plan is not really difficult. How do you see a time savings on choosing plants? Are you a designer now, or do you have a background in landscape design?

Kirk

#105 ·
I haven't done extensive designing. I took Intro. to Landscape Design in school. I don' think they are going to offer Advanced Design anymore, unfortunately, not enough interest. They do offer an Auto Cad class, but I don't think I will ever get Auto Cad.
Having a survey makes it easier with or without the program. I always spend a lot of time going through the books, searching for the best plants for the location, I just figured if you can put in what you are looking for it is right there in front of you. The more experience I get, I realize plant selection will get easier. I don't have a core group I really use yet.
It is hard down here sometimes because plants that you may want to use may not live long term and some people don't want to replace. I have come to the conclusion that we don't have a large amount of small flowering plants that work here long term for instance. I also do installs and bed maintenance (the maintenance keeps the business going) but would like to do more design work.

#106 ·
If you buy Pro Landscape or any of the other professional software programs you are getting CAD based software. I believe experience with CAD might be a plus.

Having a survey is essential to a complete landscape design and extremely helpful with smaller projects as well. You should always have those books handy as well as magazines with new introductions of plants. So many new plants a produced yearly, that books are out of date as they are published. Horticopia is software that will allow you to put in specific criteria for plant material and enable you to create lists, data sheets, picture sheets and slideshows with encyclopedic information and a new upgrade that will allow constant updates via the internet. Hopefully your core group will be as vast as your availability.

Maintenance and design go very well together, they become horticultural art.

Kirk

#107 ·
I have built my project in image editor and want to do proposal and it wont calculate rite how do i make this work rite it will not even import object into the planner the wall units i used in favorites it will not incorporate into planner proposal can anyone help me i just want to quote my customer with my drawing retaining wall pavers and mulch and flowers plants

#110 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up Pro Landscape on Friday. Already I have had the need to design 9 landscape designs with it. These are customers that I can show drafting drawings too all day long, but just don't get it. They need pics. These are commercial properties with boards and manager who want pretty pictures.

Anyway, I was totally pumped when the box came in. I ordered it over night so I can get some good ground covered come today when I wanted to turn them in. I love the 3d virtual realty look and its very impressive.

I have one HUGE gripe I mailed the company about on Saturday and have yet to receive a reply. The software runs great when I first open a new project. I start adding plants, and its ok. Well the more I add the more it gets bogged. I am not talking about a ridiculous amount of plants here. For example my most recent project this evening was a sign, 4 blue spruce's, 6 nandinas, mulch, and maybe 20 pansies. Now when I move/resize/add anything it just doesn't respond immediately or anywhere close. It takes a good 5-8 secs to see the result of anything I am doing. This is the 5 project this has happened on.

This is incredible software, and a very powerful selling tool. I cannot use it with this type of lag though.

My computer is a 3.2ghz p4 with a geforce 7800 (best out 2 months ago =)), 2 gigs of ocz ram, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas?

#112 ·
You need to add more RAM before you attempt to run the software. It is not a matter of speed, but if the program will run properly, if at all. You should run at least 1GB of RAM for efficiency. The CAD based planner and the 3D imaging take a great amount of computer power to run properly and correctly. A powerful computer is needed to get the best from the software.

Kirk

#113 ·
I'm trying to hatch a flagstone patio and path in 2D mode, but can't seem to find any natural stone hatching in planner mode, am I overlooking something here? There’s a lot of paver hatching and I find it odd that Drafix would have neglected to include natural stone as well. thanks!
JC

#116 ·
I've been using PRO Landscape for a year now. My customers all give an immediate "WOW!" after seeing the pics. I first started using the program to up-sell the customer by showing how it would look if they added lights, or a water feature, etc. I wanted to see if anyone else using this program would care to share some pics. I'm stuck at a certain level with this program and I'm trying to find maybe new techniques or sources for plant and paver files instead of adding them yourself by taking the pics. I find the program easy to use, but anyone who uses it knows the more options you combine, the more realistic it looks. I sometimes combine PRO Landscape with EP Henry imaging which is a hardscape specific program.
Click here for pics!

#117 ·
To print out in a larger format. I save the file as a pdf. and take it to Kinko's where they print out color prints. Or I print it out, scan it on my scanner and enlarge it. I also usually include a disc and hard copies of the print. This way if any changes need to be made I can draw on the print and not worry about it.

#118 ·
I'm just reading through these threads for the first time as I am fairly new to this site. Kirk seems to have a good idea of the program. This is a sales tool more than a design program. I also use CAD for my designs. I also incorporate color into my design. I find my customers just look at me like a deer in headlights when I show them a print and plant info, then I show them the PRO Landscape image editor pics and there's the WOW! then a sigh of relief that they are excited about your design. My presentation jacket includes: a legal size print (have to buy the big one), plant info and image editor photos (printed on photo glossy paper for nicer presentation), a disc containing all this info in PDF or JPG format and our company's mission statement (talking about our commitment to service and periodic follow-ups on their project) I think the bottom line here is sales... No one can deny that. If you want to up-sell the customer on lights, walls or whatever. This visual tool is a must. PS- Kirk, have any pics to share?

#122 ·
VO Landscape Design,

Thanks VO.. Acutally the zoom in feature is in Prolandscape, but the only way to capture the image is to zoom in on the screen. Get it where you want it hit print/screen button on your keyboard. Open up Paintbrush, click edit and paste. Then using the cut-out box tool cut your zoomed picture out and right-click select the copy to and save as a .bmp or .jpeg file. I acutally did do 2 out of the four installs. I will get some pictures of the installs and post with these. It is actually pretty impressive as to how close the installed pictures look.

#124 ·
I guess I am the only one who doesn't care for it. I thought the symbols did not represent the the true plants well enough. However in it's defence I must say I don't do much in 3D. However the 2D portion I found to be very basic and unimpressive. I still use Raincad because of it's versatility and compatability with other using CAD also, should I need to import or export site plans or finished drawings to an architect.

#125 ·
I really appreciate everyones post regarding prolandscape. I own a small specialty nursery and landscape design company. I have been hand drawing my plans for years and finally developed my business enough to justify spending money on design software. After reading what seems like hundreds of posts on a few few websites the reviews seemed lie they were all over the board. Some love it, others don't recommend it and a few use it along with other software. I spent 2 weeks reviewing other options too... Dynascape, Visual Impact Earthscapes, Landcadd, etc. For better or worse, I decided to go with Prolandscape's new version 13 and all of it's new features.

I ordered the software last Friday night. Over the weekend I upgraded my home and office computers from 512 mb of memory to 1.256 gb of memory ($100/computer). The software recommends 512 mb but I want it to run fast. I also upgraded my office computer's monitor from a Dell 15 inch flat screen to a Samsung 22 inch widescreen. I am not sure if I went big enough but I decided to start there.

I received the dvd software Tuesday (yesterday) morning via UPS next day air ($35 extra) after much anticipation. I was expecting cd software and was unable to load it on my computers. Arg! I read in the documentation cds are available by calling tech support. With frustratin I called tech support. The phone rang 2 times and a tech rep answered the phone. I was expecting to struggled with an automated system then wait in a queue for 15-30 minutes. I was impressed with service and asked if it normally that easy to reach a tech rep. I was told that Monday mornings are busier since they returning calls from the weekend but usually it is easy. Not bad. They told me the cds would be sent out via UPS ground (5-7 working days). I was frustrated again! I requested overnight delivery and they obliged - at no extra cost. I was happy they obliged but disappointed that downloading wasn't an option. The cds are supposed to arrive today but until then I am stuck reading manuals.
I will update after I receive the cds and start using the software...

#126 ·
Sorry to hear about your struggles, but the wait will be worth it. I have brought in a CAD draftsperson this season to work on the plans while I design, sketch and use the 3D imaging along with Horticopia for presentations. It has mad the design work so much easier and more immediate. Make sure you are able to find a local printer that can print your plans in scale correctly. The local Kinkos is now unable due to the unavailability of software to read the files correctly. There are multiple ways to print out the plans, so check with your printer to find what works for them. Better yet, buy a printer and go it alone.

I invested in an HP Designjet and it is well worth the price for convenience. It's great to print out a base plan and sketch on it, and then put it back into the computer to email or print out and present.

Kirk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.