Proline 21 blade choices.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Jul 31, 2004.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Just bought a Toro suzuki 21 [non BBC] for my wife. The mulching blade that came with it works great at mulching but could stand a little more lift to stand up the grass. I notice the stock blade on the Exmark 21 is a design like the toros I had 12 years ago, but not sure what blade they are using in their mulch kit.

Here is my question, can you get a gator blade for the Toro 21 that sits at the same height in the deck and will it stand up the grass any better than the stock recycler blade? Any feedback on Toro 21 blade choices and performance for mulching at 2.75 inch is appreciated.

Tom

2. gator magnum blade is available for the non bbc modal...altho i do use it on my bbc ones ...still works cut a little no big deal hole on the plastic hub under there but still works .

power equipment warehouse sells em ..www.power41.com
    part number-94-900 in their catolog.

i find tho it dont work no better then the toro recycler blade. in my grass type ..if you are bagging try the toro hi-lift blade .

also if you havent yet tell your dealer to jack those rpms up to 3700 with the blades spinning that makes a big diference .

3. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

What is bbc and how can I tell if my 21" Proline is or not?

Great suggestion on the rpm's. Mine feels like it could use a little more blade speed.

Thanks.
    CJ

4. dishboy

from zone 6

GeenScape, I was referring to the blade brake by BBC, not sure if that is the right abbreiviation or not. Proline is printed in big letters on my bag, and commercial on the front of the deck.

Thanks Odin, do the Gator magnums do better as far as stragglers and lift than the stock recycler blade.

Tom

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

dishboy, did you buy the Toro 2 cycle new? If so, where did you get it, and do they have any more of them? ?

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a "Gator" blade for my Toro 21" Proline Commercial mower two seasons ago. I got it from Power Equipment Warehouse, as suggested earlier. Actually, it is not part of the Gator line of blades used by the w/b mowers, rather it is one made by Toro. I think it is called Atomic blade. It has a few teeth that stick up on the trailing edge, just like the real Gator blades.

I too was searching for a better bagging blade. But, this wasn't it! I used it only a few times, then discarded it. I think it had less lift, and did not do as good of job as the OEM blade. I also tried it for mulching, and saw no improvement from the OEM blade. All considered, having the blade added nothing to my blade selection.

This still begs the question: Who has a better hi-lift blade for these mowers? I ended up storing my perfectly good mower, buying a LB with a side bagger. I was having so many problems with bagging early in the season. I took out the mulching "kicker plates" but that didn't help my cause. Doing a search on my name as author will pull out my comments and threads on the mower change. The engine on these mowers has enough power to drive a blade with a better lift.

7. dishboy ..as far as straglers id say about the same..the gators do get a little finer clippings tho ..at least on my bluegrass lawns.

One blade i absolutely hated was the toro atomic ...talk about stragglers ...

8. their is a gator for the toro to that aint the toro atomic..the red blade in the pic is a gator the black blade is atomic

9. dishboy

from zone 6

Roger, I ran the Toro's with suzuki in the early 90's and this was my cure for crappy bagging performance. Snapper makes a lift kit for their 21 that bolts to their pre-drilled blades [$6.50] ,useing a drill press, a small carbide drill bit and the correct size carbide drill bit I drilled the toro blade to fit and then ground off the corner to fit the contour of the Toro deck and balanced. I have used this set up for Toro's and Honda's for 13 years and it is safe. It does increase blowout of leaves though.

Tom

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Dishboy - thanks for the confirmation of the idea! I started many years ago with a commercial 21" Snapper and added those "lifter tips" for enhanced bagging performance. I have never used a mower that bagged better than my old Snapper with those additions!

I've thought of doing what you suggest, but didn't have the courage to try. I don't have a drill press, but know somebody who can help. The locations of the holes has to be very good or the blade will have a balance problem. Also, I think the kicker plates will have to be taken out, but that is trivial. I don't care about mulching leaves (e.g. blowout) because I can change blades for those functions.