Proline 21, engine replacement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 Saisons, May 29, 2003.

1. Well, after less than 1000 hours, a 6.5 Briggs died last week. Due to a governail failure, engine had run up to 4600 rpm, for few minutes, before I eard the engine overspeeding. I think I throw away my weedeater to run to the mower...Mower is only 3 years but was used as a back up. Now warranty is over and i need a complete short bloc. Very bad damage inside the engine due to a "flying" part. I think I've got the same problem few weeks after i bought it( engine overspeeding, but without damage).

I never been happy with those Briggs (I have a another one too), a lot of vibration, Filter very expensive 20$ each, air and oil. Not as reliable than the suzuki. You need to remove a lot of part only to change the rope of the recoil.

Could I expect something better from the kawasaki.

Is it possible to fit an Honda engine on toro deck( zone start).

Btw I run double blade on the second one and I don't want to go back to anything else. need to be zone start.
  2. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I had a 6.5 Briggs on my old Proline and had similar problems with it, as you said right from the start I never liked it. I just bought a new Proline with the 6 hp Kawasaki and it seems like a better engine. The Kawasaki is easier to start and runs much smoother than the Briggs. The only down side is the smaller gas tank and the oil filters are $26, but it is easy to find aftermarket filters for this mower. Overall I'm very happy with the Kawasaki and think it would be a great replacement over the Briggs.

3. Thanks ray

I have temporarily an old toro personal pace from the dealer with a kawasaki on it, you're right, this engine look better. There is no oil filter on that one. Run smooth like a honda. I don't understand the small gas thank either.

just find this old tread, will talk about this recall to my dealer Monday.

Could somebody lead me to where I can find a kawasaki engine or good old Suzuki, nothing on thomas website, tulsa, small engine warehouse. will try northern tool. A lot of briggs available, still not sure if I can fit an Honda.

Just realize it had been better if posted in the repair and mechanics forum, sorry, if an administrator could do the move, I may have more answer.
  4. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

After suffering through an entire year with the 6.5hp Briggs engines on my Toros and forcing Toro to provide replacements for them, I have come to a personal conclusion that the only useful purpose these particular engines have would be that of a boat anchor. The Toro decks will accept either the new Kaws or the old 2 stroke Suzs. I went back to the 2 strokers. No oil changes, cleanable air filters. I will take a slight drop in power over the significant reduction in maintenance and cost of new air cleaners and oil filters.