Proline 36 Mulching Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by branhamt, May 1, 2003.

1. branhamt

branhamt LawnSite Member

I have tried to get this machine to mulch with no hope. Doubles created a lot of blowout, and just having the the discharge blocked has blowout. I did try removing all spacers above the blades also. I tried to make a baffle or skirt for the deck to prevent this problem with no help. Is there any hope to make this mulch or should I just side discharge with it?

GREEN THUMB LAWN SERVICE

TOM

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Get the factory mulch kit and mulching blades. Your not going to be happy with just a blockoff plate. Doubles and mulching never work.

3. branhamt

branhamt LawnSite Member

65 Hoss, thanks I figured there would be more of a response but maybe everyone agrees. I would like to know if you have the same machine and did it mulch well or is it just better to discharge everything? Thanks again.

GREEN THUMB LAWN SERVICE

TOM

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run eXmarks with mulching kits. I can't stand the look of side discharged grass.

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

In my location a mulch kit used at this time of year would be futile. With cool season grass, big growth, and any moisture, mulching is going to result it clod throwing regardless of the mulching set up, unless maybe if you mowed your lawns every other day.

Jay

6. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We have an older model 36" Proline and have never been able to get it to mulch well with the high growth in the spring. We could not find a mulch kit to fit it but have had limited success with doubles in the summer when the growth is not too thick. Good luck in getting yours to mulch.

7. branhamt

branhamt LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I didn't know if the cost of the mulch kit would produce acceptable results or just discharge. I agree with the cool season growth and rain we are receiving. I mulch all but 2 yards so I was looking for something to speed me up on the yards I have to use a small mower on ie (gates).

GREEN THUMB LAWN SERVICE

TOM

8. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have a 36 proline with a toro factory mulch kit. It was OK with singles, When I put on doubles (standard on bottom and gators on top) it leaves no trace...even on thick 8" St. Augustine ! I never have to double cut. You need to pull the spacers and put them on top of the spindles, if not you will get a ton of blowout.

.......then again, I use mine on warm-season grass? :confused:

9. branhamt

branhamt LawnSite Member

Thanks Tbarchaser, that is what I am looking for some proof either it will do the job or not and save my money. I did try all spacers removed and doubles like yourself minus the mulch kit with a block off and had alot of blowout. I will order one tomorrow if I get anymore positive replies.

GREEN THUMB LAWN SERVICE

TOM

10. branhamt

branhamt LawnSite Member

Thanks Tbarchaser, that is what I am looking for some proof either it will do the job or not and save my money. I did try all spacers removed and doubles like yourself minus the mulch kit with a block off and had alot of blowout. I will order one tomorrow if I get anymore positive replies.

GREEN THUMB LAWN SERVICE

TOM