Proline Mulching ? 48"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottb, Oct 27, 2000.

1. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I performed a search looking for thid information,if its there I missed it. If you know the Toro Proline Series its the Exmark deck. Do any of you use a mulching kit on these I am wondering how they perform. I know Stone says his Toros do well but I think this is with different style decks.
    Mower is belt drive 15hp Kolher and i have already installed Gator blades, so any of you Toro or Exmark guys with Fixed decks please advise. Oh yeah this is mainly for leaves.
    Thanks

[Edited by scottb on 10-27-2000 at 04:27 PM]

2. Lawn Cruiser

Lawn Cruiser LawnSite Member

I work in a Toro dealership and the Toro drive unit is made by Exmark, but the deck is a Toro deck that is the difference between the Toro and Exmark. As far as mulching the Toro SFS deck that is used is a great deck to use as a mulcher.

3. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is not a SFS deck it is a Standard fixed deck like a Exmark Metro or Viking Hydro sorry about not clearing that up.

4. Lawn Cruiser

Lawn Cruiser LawnSite Member

Sorry I miss read your original post I thought that you were referring to the mid mount Z, when in fact you are talking about the walk behind and that is the Xmark deck. I just did the Gator blades on the bottom and the highlifts on top in a double blade configuration and side discharged with it it worked great, although my deck is the older floating deck.

5. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Lawncruiser,
    While we're on the topic of Toro and Exmark, I could use some assurance that I'm looking at this correctly. I understand that they both have the same mechanics, with minor cosmetic differences such as the molded in cup holder, and that the difference is in the decks. I mow wet, heavy growth, especially in spring and believe that the Toro SFS deck with side discharge will work best for this and when things dry out will mulch well also.
    The local dealer handles both Toro and Exmark, but his prices quoted are lower for exmark.

I'm leaning toward Toro 60"Z255 for its deck--what do you think? Also, what does your dealer think about doing work on machines purchased elsewhere--I think I can get a much better price from a dealer farther away than the local, but I wouldn't want to travel so far for service. Thanks.
    Will M.

6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a toro 48 and 36 with the exmark deck and
    the 36 just got outfitted with the mulching kit.
    works great!!! some leaf kickout though. see the
    thread on leaf kick out there is a good idea on
    there i'm going to try. once you get used to fixed
    decks you know there scalp limitations . the 48 i
    have i fitted with a rigged up plate over the dis
    charge last year and it did ok but the mulch kit
    is worth the bucks.