Proline transmission replacment

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by creeksidelc, Mar 11, 2006.

1. creeksidelc

creeksidelc LawnSite Member

I have an older Proline 36in with a peerless 4 forward, 1 reverse transmission. Recently it started slipping up hills, and pushing the bars out the side. I got a price from my Toro dealer of $300-400, and was wondering if there is any place online I can get it for cheaper, or if it is very hard to fix myself. Thanks for the help:usflag:

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, if you are remotely mechanically inclined you can do it yourself. I would also upgrade to a 5 speed. I put a peerless 3628 P1 in my 36" Proline. I had never done it before, just had to figure it out as I went, it took me just over an hour. You can get a brand new peerless 700 on e-bay for $189 plus $7 shipping from a parts store in Texas, good transmission, good price. Lesco should have them in stock for about $230.
    Easy job, the only part that gave me any trouble was getting the pulley off the bottom of the transmission, it's a tight fit and if it has been on for a long time it might be tricky. If you can get that pulley off then the rest is cake.

3. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

If you have in impact wrench, the pulley on the bottom of the tranny is irrelevant

4. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

try j-thomas.com

they have them and around 190 for a trans

5. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

make shure you check the tranmission belt first cause usually that is what causes the slipping and it might not even be your transmission

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree 100%...:waving:

7. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

To answer your question I have a few of my own.

When you mention the bars are being pushed out, do you mean the output shaft from the transmission coupler to the drive belt? Also, do you have the 36 spline or 9 spline output shaft.

We have had to replace transmissions on our prolines but also found other problems with these machines as well.

1. On the output shaft, there is a c ring ring which keeps the output shaft mesh into the coupler from the transmission output shaft. If the ring snaps, the output shaft can shift and can wear some of the splines on the output shaft from the transmission or in the coupler causing it to slip. In some instances replacing the c ring kept the shaft snug in the coupler and the slipping stopped.

2. In some cases, the output shaft coupler had some of the splines smoothed off and replacing that solved the problem. Sometimes replacing out outer output shaft solved the problem as well.

3. All of our Toro gear drive walkbehinds have the 36 spline shafts and replacing them with the 9 spline shaft and also a five speed transmission is good advice. We have not done so with ours since they are now backup mowers.

4. In two instances we had to replace the transmissions and in retrospect I wish we switched them over to the 9 spline and the five speed transmission.

Hope this has been some help.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

There are snap rings that hold the output shafts in place near the output shaft bearing at the frame. I used to have them go bad and cause this problem when I used my toros a lot.

Sometimes as the output shafts slide outwards this causes the output shaft couplers and shaft splines to round off and wear. Which causes them to slip. Replacing the couplers with fresh new ones will often fix the problem, but you need to replace the snap rings so it doesn't slip out of the groove and cause the wear again. The snap rings are a standard hardware part, the others are ones you'd have to order.

At the most you probably need to replace only the snap rings, the output shafts, and the couplers. Maybe $60 in parts. I would go ahead and change out the output shaft bearings the shafts run (at the frame) through anyway since they will wear out over time and you'll have to take it all apart again then. Another $30 or so.

I replaced a Toro transmission early in my business and later realized it wasn't the problem. Ten years later I put that same old transmission on a unit with a broken transmission and it has worked fine with new output shafts and couplers.

J-Thomas or any other good lawn mower supply place should have a good selection of parts. Do some web searches.

It just takes a little mechanical aptitude, an inspection of the wear on parts, and common sense to figure out which parts need replacing. It can be done in half an hour or less once you know what you're doing.

9. creeksidelc

creeksidelc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure it is not belt slippage, because the splines coming out of the tranny lock up when I go up a hill and stop moving. I will definatly check the splines first and if that doesn't fix it I will replace the tranny. If it is the tranny can I put a 5 speed in where a four speed was without any trouble or extra linkage. Thanks

10. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

no i mean the belt under the lawn mower if that slips then the splines will not turn