1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

promise what day you'll cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 23, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i know we "schedule" work, but i'm finding that will get old real quick. since i can't schedule rain, breakdowns, or having to stop to discuss extras or make a sale to a nieghbor, the new rule is simple: " non premium" clients are cut on wednesday. "premium " clients are cut on thurs/friday/sat morning. BUT, i aint promising anything. we start at the top of the list and keep cutting till the route is done. i actually have a few that want a day, and time ;) . do you guys promise what day you will be there? i mean, i'd like to, but sh!t happens.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How can you?
    Rain changes everything.
    Schedule,yes,promise or guarantee...........nope.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have 1 customer that pays extra to get mowed on Friday. Every one else gets mowed when I get there. It all depends on the weather.

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

its impossible to promise. we work the same, start at the top and cut till were at the bottom.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Premium vs. Non Premium? Waz sup wit dat bobby? I tell my clients one thing and only one thing...I'll see ya when I'm looking at ya...period.

I get tied up on an Interstate cause of a major tractor trailer accident and I have to come the following day...there is nothing I can do. Rain for a couple days, ditto. Equipment breaks down no matter how conscientous or maintenance anal you are. Employees get sick or have emergencies for that matter.

All part of life IMO...
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I say which day I will be there , but I also tell them that if I get rained out a day then Im a day behind and will be there soon as i can
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

"non premium"= granny who wants it cut every week "till it stops growing, i don't water u know." then there is "premium"= "i want you here every week, i run my sprinklers 4 days a week, even if it's not growing, i want it kept neat, and it's your call on the shrub trimming, mulching, weeding, etc. use your judgement, you are in charge."
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I do have a theoretical schedule. But that's about all it is. I don't make promises I know are impossible to keep. I've found that finding a happy medium works best for me. Ideally I'd like to do each one at a certain day and time. But the happy medium is somewhere between when the weather permits, what keeps the customer happy, and when it's convenient for me.

#1- We are at the mercy of the weather
    #2- A good customer may not care really, but they should understand at least
    #3- We can only go so far out of our way to give special attention

Last year was a very hard year due to so much rain. I never got really far behind because the only time I wasn't mowing a property was when it was pouring rain or the property was literally flooded with water standing. What I learned was...

• Start your mowing week early Monday morning
      Forget scheduling
      Forget rain makeup policy
      Leave some breathing room for squeeze ins
      Create strategic openings for rain makeup
      Create small sub-routes within your list
      Recognize priorities
  9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I start at the top and work down, however the yards are lined up, that's how we pretty much do it week in and week out.
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes, we have certain days for each of our customers. We don't tell them what day though, but after awhile when we just keep showing up on the given day, they consider that day their mowing day. If it rains, we do the best we can, but we always end up getting them back on track to their regular day.
    We never promise anyone a certain day though. We like to make up our mowing schedule and fit the customers in accordingly.

We have this one guy named Chuck as a customer. His first year he kept begging for a Friday cut. We were servicing his lawn on Wednesday roughly around 1:00pm each week. After awhile Matt got tired of hearing him, so he set him up for a Friday cut. Matt drops me off at 4:00 that friday, and he says, "I better go give Chuck his Friday cut." I come in the house, listen to the phone messages, and there's chuck berating us because we didn't show up on Friday. (I guess he thought we would show up at 1:00 just like on Wednesdays) I call Matt on the cell and tell him.
    So when Matt gets there he says, "Listen Chuck, facts are you can't handle a Friday cut. You're back to Wednesday from now on in."
    It's been Wednesday ever since for four years now. lol