PROMOTIONAL BROCHURE help needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KindGardener, Nov 17, 2000.

1. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

I need to create a brochure to promote my business. I will print them out on my color printer at first - possibly have Kinkos print them.

A little background...

The route I bought had 85 homes, now is up to 92. Most homes have postage-stamp-size lawns, lots of planting beds & hardscape - (Lot size ranges from condo patios, to 3000-5000sqft single family residential lots)

A typical call involves weeding & raking leaves/debris from the beds, minor pruning, mow & edge, blow or hose off hardscape. That keeps me busy just under 4 days - the other day or two each week are for doing whatever I can drum up.

my predominant competition is from what I suppose are called scrubs. So "setting myself apart" shouldn't be hard, even though I'm new to this business. But MANY folks seem to really like the very low prices they charge. All the more reason for marketing - tep to high-end, more demanding clients.

For the reg scheduled maintenance calls, I'm getting from $7 to $35 per visit - mostly split between weekly & bi-weekly. On many accts, I feel I am really low - receiving only about $35/hour - some are closer to $60/hour. (I have 2 guys helping me)

It has slowed down this past month a bit, a few accts with warm-weason grass going to bi-wekly from weekly, but most with turf have fescue, so I still see them weekly (that reminds me... need to fertilize again).

(Keep in mind - this in Huntington Beach CA - ground temp probably never hits 40 - almost never a "real" frost)

I have no "official logo", just the company name "The Kind Gardeners". My business card subheading reads: Detailed Garden Maintenance, Installation and Design"

Your suggestions and/or samples would be greatly appreciated! I'm even talking about what font suggestions work best, etc!

(In the past 2 weeks, I already created a maintenance agreement from input/samples posted here - this site is a god-send!)

Regards,

Will Johnson

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I designed my own logo and an frequently complemented on it and asked which "firm" I hired to design it. I've also done logo's for 5 other companies: 2 for lawn care, 3 for other businesses.

Why a logo? Company idenity, easy to remember you. A 2-year old can "read" McDonalds with the golden arches. Communicates to people without them having to use their brains.

You can dabble with your own, I would offer this input:

1.) Use a heavy font (bold) for your name. Make it DARK, maybe even reverse it out of a black (dark color) box or oval.
    2.) Run the character spacing together to the letters touch each other. Many firms use this as their logo without a graphic.
    3.) Keep plenty of "white space" on your promotional pieces.
    4.) On my fertiliing brochure, (since I don't have TruGreen's budget) I use my color printer with photos and it's printed on heavy glossy paper. I include one of those with my bid, not as a flyer, though.

3. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

Look @ it from a marketing prosepective. Outline the pros and cons in a column format. Yours vs. theirs (generalize) and ask the customer to question the competition with the comparisons... include insurance costs, equipment costs, etc. From reading the forum and past experience, many customers look @ LMOs as cheap labor and think we just provide a basic, easy service. Even though this is semi-true we must educate them that $6,000+ mowers, insurance, labor costs, taxes, maintenance, etc. are costs that make us legitimate businesses. One of the things I advertise is the replacement of dulled blades with sharpened blades every 8 hours. Also, I have pics of properly cut grass vs. "ripped" grass... this is part of the education. Explain the "ripped" grass is from improperly sharpened blades and invites disease.
    In a nutshell, if I were the customer and two guys came by with estimates that differed by $5-10, BUT the higher presented the proposal in an intelligible and visual form, it would raise my eyebrow and say "Gee, this guy has done his homework!" Remember, we now are a visual nation and pics sell. Look @ ELM's site. It speaks volumes about his work. I would definitely pay him more to make my lawn appear like that!

4. Sunset Lawns

Sunset Lawns LawnSite Member

Call Focal Point 800-525-6999. They have ready made full color brochures, post cards, newsletters, direct mail letters, etc.

5. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

Good input, Thanks!

I have gone to a LOT of the web sites of lawnsite members (and others) and have gotten some ideas there.

The "logo" idea is good

(I tried to cut/paste some examples - couldnt get it to work)

Regards,
    Will