Prompt vs. Southern Speedzone

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Apr 1, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Has anyone had any dealings with Prompt? Speedzone is OK until temps get much over 80--not sure how it will effect St. Augustine in SC. Prompt is not the tri-mix stuff. Let me know. Thanks

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have never heard of Prompt. If you would be so kind as to give me a link or mfg name I would like to review the lable please.

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I am not sure about your main concern which is buring of the grass when it is over 85. It does not address the issue. I would test it on you own lawn or somewhere on a back corner of a large property. See if you can get a sample from the rep/dealer.

I think I will stick with my speedzone but let me know.

5. RAlmaroad

from SC

I like Speedzone here in TN, but with the 2-4D in the heat of the summer down in SC, where I'm not licensed and only working on my yard and 3 others around me. I've used the Atrazine (and as they mentioned .66/K ) diluted very much. It the bentozone or something that I need to add to and get rid of the other summer stuff. Lots of perinnal like Dollarweek, Sedge, Shepherd's Purse, etc. that I'm after. One of my neightbor's yard is totally weeds and he don't really care what I do to it--just keep it clear. Anyway--it is the heat and drought that I'm a little cautious about. My yard down there is fully irrigated and pretty. My good neighbors' is coming along and just started on another neighbor. Thats it--not really trying for another career just being nice to them. When they found out that I did this in TN--Well, you can imagine. Centipede is not too picky, but that St. Augustine will turn on you in a heartbeat. Stuff is real picky. It's under trees and does quite well as long as you follow it's rules.
    Do y'all use Speedzone in TX? I was in Dallas area for a while near the OK. border--not bad but hot.

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I use it and yes it can be hot. I try and get all my broadcast spraying done by Easter then we spot treat. I use Southern because I only have one mix to worry about and it has a fast knock down.

It can be very hot in Dallas. It used to a dry heat but not any more, too many lakes, pools and irrigation systems.

I have Family in SC.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

RAlmaroad

I have never bought Prompt, But I sure have mixed Atrazine and Basagram to make the same herbicide cocktail and found it to work great. UHS makes a Atrazine that has no heat restrictions on the label. I apply it at a lower rate in the heat of summer and get no burn. I also cut back the rate on Basagram in the summer. Now that Atrazine is back to being a RUP at 4L AI, I may have to use Prompt.

Prompt will not get Oxlasis like Speed Zone and Black Medic is always a problem for both.

8. Duekster

from DFW, TX

The truth has been told.

Speed Zone is high, how does this cocktail compare price wise.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Atrazine RUP is cheap but requires a lot more paper work. Basagram is not so cheap but only used at 0.4 oz per thousand with Atrazine. Atrazine is now only 0.75 oz high label rate which is my summer rate from when it used to be 1.5 oz high label rate. Atrazine is a surface and ground water toxic. The cocktail is cheaper to use than Prompt and if you read the label is the same as my cocktail.

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I think I will stick with my speedzone southern. It has a nice fast knock down and relatively low app rate. It cost around $20 per acre at the middle of the road app rate.