1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Proof of sent letters??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Classified, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that lives in california but has a house in my area that she rents to someone.

I sent her last bill of the season and she sends me a letter saying that she had cancelled my service back in august and sent a letter stating that. She also states that her tenant claims that I was never there to mow which is untrue. She also claims that she had another LCO mow her lawn yet her grass was always as long as can be when I got there and there was no proof of any other mowers on her lawn unless they followed my patterns to a T every other week.

Now, I never recieved a letter from her cancelling my service. I am going to file a lein on her house if she refuses to pay but is there a way that I can prove that she didnt send a letter other than me verbally stating I never ricieved it? A copy means nothing on her part, that can easily be fabricated after the fact.

I sent her an email disputing her cancellation letter that she allegedly sent. Also, I have here signed contract stating in the contract that I MUST have a letter sent stating that they want to canel service.

Any thoughts on my next steps?

2. Hokie84

Hokie84 LawnSite Member

I would only use certified mail when dealing with this costumer in the future. And if you do talk to her on the phone send a certified letter summerizing your conversation. Also, keep a written log of all communications and actions. Good luck.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Take her arse to court. If I was her, I would have either called or better yet sent a certified letter to cancel service, since you guys are on opposite ends of the country. Send a certified letter telling her that she has 10 days to pay or you send it to the Cook county States Attorney's office. You have her over a barrel, now stick it to her.