Proof that the metal side chutes are bad!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by hybirden, Jun 11, 2007.

1. hybirden

hybirden LawnSite Member

Hi guys first time post! Although i am a hustler forum junkie.

So anyways, i was mowing last week with the metal side chute on and all of a sudden it sounded like i hit a rock, which would be weird cause there are no rocks in my yard. So i look down to see what i have hit and the side chute is GONE! At least appeared to be. Apparently somehow the thing tucked itself under the deck and ended up getting eaten by the blades. Not to mention it ruined my freshly sharpened blades. i love my 16/36" to death but what the hell is up with the bad on the chutes.

Below are some picture so show what happened.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Regardless of metal or rubber that would of happened.
    Something pushed that under the mower, they don't fold under by themselves....

Pj

3. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Bolt fall out of one side, contacted the ground, and folded up under maybe?

4. hybirden

hybirden LawnSite Member

yes but if you hit something with the rubber one it just bounces back, i know cause i have a rubber one on my Dixon. And that is proof metal chutes are a pieces of S***. Plus how do you suppose hitting something pushed that under...it is not like i am standing on it while mowing. So you think i was mowing, and hit something hard enough to bend it down and didn't even notice till i heard the sound.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I don't mean to offend you, but I was simply stating that they don't bend by them selves, how it happened I don't know, I wasn't there, but that metal doesn't bend easily.

6. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

you don't expect us to believe that you were just mowing along minding you own business and chute just decided it would like to visit the underside of your mower to see what the blades looked like when they were runnin, do you????? you had to have hit something to push the chute under the mower. the bolts that hold the chute in place are still there. i have a 17/42 and i have bumped trees and have bent the flanges that hold the chute just a wee bit. to have bent that chute under like that, you hit something hard. that said, i agree that a rubber chute is a better design.

7. hybirden

hybirden LawnSite Member

no you didn't offend me, it is just when i buy something like a nice mower like this, i expect everything to be the best quality possible. And clearly i am not the only one who thinks the metal chutes are not the best design quality. And for the life of me i can't figure out what i hit, there isn't much to hit in my yard, I didn't even feel a bump or anything. It was just weird is all.

8. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

The metal shoots are the same on nearly every mower. The design doesn't change all that much since most just take them off when they are received.

Either way, thats some extremely thick metal, it would have taken a lot to do that, or as mentioned a bolt or two came out and it caught up under the mower. Do you inspect/maintain your mower frequently?

9. hybirden

hybirden LawnSite Member

yeah i keep it spinning like a top, only the best of the best for my mower...do they have a rubber chute available to buy? if so how much?

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is not a rubber chute available for the Mini FasTrak units.