Propagation anyone?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by allinearth, May 26, 2008.

1. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone on here doing their own propagation? I would like to know about your set up etc. We have tried to do cuttings on some plants with limited success. Looking for tips and time frames for different cuttings.:walking:

2. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying Purple Sand Cherry with rooting hormone in a peat-top soil 4" deep pot, another with P.J.M Rhododendron and Olga Mezitt Rhodies. Just started. I'll let you know any successes.

3. allinearth

Are you using mist or just keepin them wet?

4. Paradise Landscapes

I like to keep my soil damp. I bought my peat-soil mix, root-tone and tray yesterday. I will be working on them tonight. The purple sand cherries look promising.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we have one prop house w/ a 6 zone mister system. we had to get back into because a lot of our favorite plants we can't find anymore. the big guys are patenting everything, then when the patent runs out they stop all production and move on to the next patent.

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Some plants don't take with stem or leaf cuttings. You have to do root cuttings, layering, division, etc. to have success at propagation. It all depends on the plant. The easiest for most woody shrubs is the root cutting method.

7. Paradise Landscapes

Is that when you use a root and not a stem? :confused:

8. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

theres a guy on the intrenet selling a system (mike McGrothy) Check out his website.

9. allinearth

Anyone have a preferance on kind of mist head?

10. allinearth

This is why I am trying to grow more of my own stuff. Fuel for going and getting stuff getting too high. Some plants I like or want are not grown by growers. Started this year buying more liners and growing out. Has really cut down on my plant buying trips.