propane mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ulclawncare, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ulclawncare

ulclawncare LawnSite Member

my dad's friend builds engines for lawn mowers, and i was over at his house one day and he was in the middle of building a ztr engine that could run 13 hrs. off of a propane tank that you exchange for at a store and no gasoline is required.................CAN YOU SAY COST CUTTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. the sad part is that he doesn't sell the engines, they sit in his garage until he designs a new one.....this was a year ago now he has a twin tanker

2. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Faster than a speeding mailtruck, louder than a Hi-Lo its,its ZTR Man.

3. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I could be wrong but I thought grasshopper makes one. Propane is clean burning.

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie Chopper also has propane powered equipment.

5. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

How come you never see any of this advertised. Now back to my workshop. I am finishing up on a steam powered ztr. :p

6. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Nuke powered here.

7. cushman

cushman LawnSite Member
    from se pa

First, there's no need to "build" a propane engine, all you need is a regulator, an adaptor to fit on the carb, and a few other small bits.

Second, propane is far more costly than gasoline, and 13 hours on a gas grill tank? No way, a 20 lb propane tank is about the same as 2 1/2 gallons of gasoline.

They're not even that clean. We found more than 500 ppm of CO coming from propane engines, but some industrial engines based on compliant car engines were about 30 ppm even on gasoline.

8. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

What equipment are you using that only uses 1 gallon of fuel every 5 hrs?

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I saw a propane powered kohler 15 hp engine on a floor cleaner in walmart before. It must be really clean burning.

10. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

It is clean burning. The problem is, the minute you convert one to propane you have voided Kohlers (or any other engine man. warranty).

We use to convert many Kohers to propane for Toro Dingos so they could operate indoors.