Propane mower....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SlowMow, Sep 1, 2007.

1. SlowMow

SlowMow LawnSite Member

Does anyone know anything about these new propane powered mowers? Are they more cost effivient to run them and refill the propane tanks? How much can you cut before having to refill the tanks? Just curious if anyone knows anything for tha matter about them....Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

I have a hell of a time getting 20# tanks filled for my grill and cookers. If you have a place nearby with hours to fit your schedule then go for it. I have seen these used and performance is about the same as with a gas powered rig. I've also seen someone have to load up and go find a place to refill to finish a job. Just more convenient for me to have fuel cans on my trailer.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The Equipment dealer also sells propane in our area.....and there are guys that will pickup and deliver as often as you need it. I see a lot of units in our city with the big tanks on each side of the seat...mostly Ferris.

5. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

If that works out well for you in Springfield, MO, like it does in TX, then go for it. Like I say I've seen a few around. People have used them on pickups and some farm tractors for quite awhile now. With the price of LP gas lately, I don't think it will be much of an advantage price wise. But, they are more enviromentaly friendly, and as far as I've heard are a little more fuel efficient. With that in mind, it may offset the cost for you.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

There is really nothing "new" about propane-powered mowers. Grasshopper offered propane power for many years. The market for them was very limited, so Grasshopper quit offering that option a couple of years ago.

7. SlowMow

SlowMow LawnSite Member

The main reaon I asked is because there is a propane refill place literally one block from my house. As far as running out while at a job, you should just carry a set or two of full propane containers on your trailer just like gas cans. My primary concern is the fuel consumption.....

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Slowmow

Who are you talking to about propane mowers?

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know about you guys but I used to work for companies thatran all of their forklifts, manlifts, etc. on propane. i can tell you that we dealt with leaky connections all the time and the exhaust from propane stinks. Seem like I always had a headache by the end of the day, if i was on a fork truck for 8 hrs. Unless you have your own refill station, getting your bottles filled would be a pita, atleast here anyway. I know of only one propane station in my town and he has banker hrs.

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I know most guys don't use a 21 for their primary like I do, but fuel barely even registers as an expense with the Toro Proline with the Honda engine. This thing is amazing on fuel. Today I topped off the half gallon tank and then mowed 7 lawns in a row, the lawns probably average around 1/8 acre each. This thing is incredible on gas consumption. After I was done I was thinking, I just made $215 and my mower fuel cost me $1.45.