Propane mowers, any one have one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sweet Tater, May 15, 2008.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I have a friend that works for a propane company and this afternoon he told me about this http://www.dixiechopper.com/propane.php
    And that for about $400 you can convert any mower. has anyone done this or have one that runs on propane?

2. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

i've never seen them, but if you get one let me know how it does !

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There are a lot of them in our market because they are mandated by most city state jobs. The cost to convert is a lot more than $400 unless your state is helping....more like $1500. Nobody still have any number on whether you save anything they always talk about never needing to change oil...they run clean

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

The Generac engine that Dixie uses for their propane unit is Designed specifically for use with propane, it is NOT an aftermarket kit. I do not own one but if they make the Xcaliber series propane I may be interested.

5. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Its an interesting idea, especially since propane is about .50 to .70 cents cheaper than gas, plus the advantages of it burning cleaner

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

May be more than interesting......big cities are going to mandate that you have to reduce polution in your fleet and that includes trucks.

7. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Bad Boy offers it as a factory warrantied option also, I am considering, gas is nearly $4.00 a gallon here, and propane is around $2.30 gallon. I saw a 37hp Kawasaki Propane model at the factory the other day, looks kinda weird with 2 huge propane tanks on the sides though.

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I had one. But then I shot a rock out the discharge chute that ricocheted back and punctured the tank... and I died.

9. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

nice drunk posting! :drinkup:

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Thou shalt not be drunk in Utah.