Propane Mowers

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by djlawn, Jun 11, 2011.

1. PrimoSR

PrimoSR LawnSite Member

Toro has one as well.

2. PrimoSR

PrimoSR LawnSite Member

How do you like running propane vs. gas?

3. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill be honest propane sounds like a pain in the ass, I have ran forklifts before and the tanks are heavy take a while to get filled( not everywere here has propane) I can also see carrying around propane tanks in the bed of your truck to be a pain in the ass to!

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well you got to get used to dealing with filling the tanks. We bought enough tanks so we can go one week. I have only one tank on the machine so I keep a second tank in the bed of the truck. So far so good. I was reading about a TT problem with fuel pumps well I don't need to worry about that. We keep thinking that our city will enact ordiances that will force most guys to go to propane. On ozone action days you won't be able to run a gas machine. This winter I am going to install propane myself on a Tiger Cub that I just put a short block on so I'll see how that goes.

5. LiveGreenLawn

LiveGreenLawn LawnSite Member

I just had my scag 52 vride converted. I signed a contract with my propane company that did the conversion. most of the conversion was paid by the propane assiociation of north carolina. And then I get a better price per gallon and they deliver the propane tanks to my storage unit. I have a 20 pound tank on the vride. Runs great!
    Can anyone give me help on posting pics to my posts???
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Have you been buying the oil straight from Jim Danklefs in case quantities and saving a little money?

7. Big Red Ferris

Big Red Ferris LawnSite Member

i work for a company that installs Generac generators, the propane is vary reliable and clean power is lots stronger, motor will last longer, amsoil has a oil for the natural gas and propane units, remember gasoline is a liquid that cools in the motor, ur propane burns alot more btu's,a 990v twin is over 270,000btus full load 3600 rpm 2.5 gal per hr, so we tell customers that like a 720cc v twin 19hp 3600 rpm, will run 6-8 days full load on a 500 gal tank remember they dont really get 500 gals due to the make up on fuel it has to boil so probbly 350 gal area. Im a air cooled tech for generac.

8. LiveGreenLawn

LiveGreenLawn LawnSite Member

What is the amsoil brand specific for propane? Weight etc?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Big Red Ferris

um were still looking into it at work look on the amsoil website i think its 15-40 there is a stationary20-40 and a vehicular 15-40 last on motor oil page... if im not mistaken propane is a higher octain then gas if you can covert it..

10. Big Red Ferris

only 15w-40 can be used in mobile motors LPG and LNG im waiting to see natural gas in this mowers but were gonna lose power, on gen sets we derate b/c the fuel is lower in btu's and dosnt have the qualitys like propane, life span on natural gas motors are good tho