1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Propane Mowing

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by lawntennis, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Ireland Lawn Care

Ireland Lawn Care LawnSite Member

What kind of propane backpack blowers do you have and where can I find them? I own a small lawn care company in Virginia and have three propane lawn mowers, trimmers and handheld blowers from Lehr but I have been looking for a propane backpack leaf blower for some time. Thanks in advance for the info.

2. greencollarlawn

greencollarlawn LawnSite Member
    from NY

Hey Rob,

How do you find using the Lehr mowers? I was considering purchasing one or two but don't know too much about them. Thank you for any input.

3. AlternativeFuelLawnCare

AlternativeFuelLawnCare LawnSite Member

I haven't yet seen a backpack propane blower directly from a manufacturer although I expect they will have them soon. Currently the Lehr handheld model is the only propane blower known from the factory. We can convert most 4 cycle backpack blowers with our least expensive conversion kit but at $335 for the conversion I would prefer the manufacturers just stepped up and offered one.
  4. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Does it count to use a diesel mower powered by used vegetable oil?
  5. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

I have a larger customer that converted their mower fleet to propane late last year and are planning on converting all their handhelds this year. I do believe their trucks are on the list to get converted as time goes on as well. They said everything that has been stated here in this thread, engines run quieter, cleaner, less oil changes, less maintenance. The propane company here did the convertions for them.
  6. LiveGreenLawn

LiveGreenLawn LawnSite Member

I have a SCAG v ride stander 52. Considering converting to propane. Any one have any advise or can see any problems i.might run into converting a stander into.propane. such as weight of tank on one side. Would i need to add weight on opposite side to offset? Got a eco.friendly.property that will only.use cleaner burning equipment. Plus propane conversion is free. Thanks for any.input.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

4 stroke backpack blower? What brand is it?

Are there kits to switch diesels to propane? Or is that only viable with natural gas? Or is that just a stupid question?

I'll be giving you guys a call.
  8. AlternativeFuelLawnCare

AlternativeFuelLawnCare LawnSite Member

Makita makes a nice 4 stroke backpack blower and there are a few others we've seen.

I have yet to see any full diesel conversion although there are quite a few propane injections added onto diesels to increase horsepower. I doubt any fuel savings would offset the injection however it does add power with a more complete burn of the diesel.

In very few instances do we recommend natural gas conversions with mowers due to the high pressure tanks being so much heavier and the lack of easy refill through tank exchange.

Looking forward to your call, we are always willing to share information.
  9. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Common algae from ponds and waste-water treatment plants has been found to produce vast amounts of burnable oil, say researchers at the University of Minnesota, algae produces an astounding 5,000 gallons of oil per acre. Corn, by comparison, produces a measly 18 gallons
  10. Grohorganic

Grohorganic LawnSite Member

in some photo bio reactors it has been as high as 30,000 gallons per acre