Propane Power

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milsaps118, Jan 24, 2007.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you guys have thought about switching/converting to propane on your mowers? I see more and more articles about this and some believe that it's going to be a standard. Some manufactures already have propane models out, like Dixie. Will we all follow the leader or will we all stay true to the traditional internal combustion engine?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

there will be more to follow and i am sure u will see more and more mowers out there using propane
    however i dont know how the D.O.T. will like propane tanks on mowers bouncing around on a trailer?
    i would try a propane mower if the chance came up

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I wont be changing any over. I have worked on fork trucks before and on a conversion you loose 20% of your horsepower. I had my propane tank for my grill filled a few weeks ago and it cost $3.25 a gallon so I see no benefit there. Even if you could re-coup the price on a bulk tank/refill station at home.....the last time my tank at home was filled it was $1.89 a gallon.

A big fleet of mowers you may re-coop enough cost to make it worth the cost. An LCO with 5-10 mowers I dont think its feasable.

wayne

4. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Cost was my big question. Then the need of having extra tanks on the truck/trailer while out in the field as wells as at your shop/home. That seems like it would be a PITA.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Local dealer is converting stuff right/left and selling it just about as fast as he can get units. He has figured out how to convert almost all manufactures and plans to convert a small Honda. The market is the obvious....all the federal, state, and local goverment are almost mandated to Propane.

6. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a tax benefit....

7. grass_cuttin_fool

Propane burns very clean, I could see some cities that have pollution problems to start to mandate or push this on lawn care companies, especially the ones that buy the liscense to operate with in a town boundary

wayne

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is exactly what we are anticipating....they will come to us and expect us to reduce our emissions by a certain amount. The converson of a few mowers would actually not be a big deal.....outside of the $1K conversion and purchase of tanks. They say that the units are running much clearner as evidence of cleaner oil...don't know if that is true. Also say that they see increased hp...don't know about that either.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

Actually there is a 20% decrease or power loss by using propane. I used tobe a fork truck mechanic and on an oilchange we would change the oil every 200-250 hours and the oil would be fairly clean.

I have never seen/worked on an air cooled propane engine, all I ever worked on were watercooled........the main thing to go out on them is the evaparator , one of the major problems was if you let the radiator get low, then the water didnt circulate and warm the propane up enough for good combustion.

Im wondering if the propane mowers are going to be water cooled or air cooled?

wayne