1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Propane power

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by smallstripesnc, Jul 27, 2013.

1. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I currently have a gravely pro turn 152 with the Kohler EFI engine. I have explored the option of running propane in the past but it seems the mowers that are ready to go from the factory are expensive or they only offer 60+ inch decks. Bobcat does have the predator-pro in a 52in that's propane but that looks like it.

Does anyone have experience running propane? I've been told that generally $20 or so will cut about 40 (1/2 acre or under) properties and they run very clean compared to a gasoline powered mower.

2. g8tor38

g8tor38 LawnSite Member

I would also like to know if anyone has any experience with the propane 400 series of Gravely, seems like a good option but with the 72" deck they are only offering the 25 hp motor and I feel it might be to little for such a big deck.

3. smithfabinc

smithfabinc LawnSite Member

Propane is definitely a good way to go. I saved a ton of money buying a Predator Pro LP. Its hard to beat $1.99 a gallon for fuel in the summer. Im getting out of the business due to loss of a big contract, and only doing landscaping part time, so the Predator is for sale if anybody is interested.