Propane powered mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by westwind, Feb 1, 2007.

1. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Saw the article in the latest Landscape Management Magazine. Propane powered commercial mowers. Has anyone used these? Is this the future of commercial lawn equipment? Interested to see what you guys think?

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you know, i went into a store the other night and there was a crew buffing the floors, the buffer had a 15hp kawi that was running on propane, i had the same thoughts that night about mowers. not sure how cost effective it would be.

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

There are companies out right now producing these things. Seems like there would be someone out there using them. Golf courses? Anyone? Or does no one want to comment on this?

4. johng

johng LawnSite Member

There are tons of propane powered vehicles used in industry but I haven't seen a mower either. Your engine would produce about ten percent less power unless the compression was significantly increased which would then prevent dual fuel operation. It's rarely done because of that even though most of the time dual fuel use isn't even considered. If you can buy taxless LPG in your area it might be cheaper to operate as well.
    john

5. JeremyM

JeremyM LawnSite Member

EnviroGard has a line of propane mowers out. The fuel costs are lower and the engines should last longer, also reduce pollution. envirogard

6. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I think DC has one too.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

State and local schools and govement agency are rushing to get them in our area. Our dealer is converting them left and right.....started converting Ferris but had a Scag ready the other day.

8. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

9. JeremyM

JeremyM LawnSite Member