Propane powered mowing equipment

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by TPendagast, Jun 14, 2014.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

It occurred to me, during a conversation today about preventing employee theft of mower crew fuel.

Oh hey! thats a boost for propane equipment! They can't steal your fuel to put in their car!

butÂ… what about 2 cycle equipment?

You will need that.
    Which is still gas.

How to rid yourself of this?

Im picturing little propane canisters the size of a red bull can on a propane weed whacker that smells like french fry farts?

Anyone able to share this mental imagery?

How far away do you think propane powered handhelds are?

2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

No, no, no...

20 lb. tank worn on your back with a remote hose and quick disconnect to snap onto the tool being used.

;)

EDIT: Then they will steal THAT to grill their burgers at home.
    :D

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

FUG that! if I had that, we'd be make shifting flame throwers in the back yard on the week end!

FWOOSH!

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Local dealer can fix you up now....he had a couple honda trimmers with small cannister. He has done a lot of honda wb conversions. I worked with them for awhile then I converted tiger cub. We run TT and a wright on propane.

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought about converting my lazer z to propane
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cimkill

cimkill LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what happens when you convert a gas mower to propane down here.
    IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

7. cimkill

cimkill LawnSite Senior Member

The last photo was an error. It was supposed to be a front shot of the mower. Well that shows you how I feel anyway. The Ferris we have came from the dealer with propane and never caught on fire. Did this installation here and this is what happened. Driver was slightly burnt but nothing serious lost some hair on the arm and his sideburns but he was ok. Seems a fuel line leaked onto engine and then caught whole thing went up in blue flames in less than 10 seconds. New Super Z HD gone completely totaled.

8. roberthathaway7

roberthathaway7 LawnSite Member

if you have the right connections you can totally steal propane, same way you can fill up coleman cans from a grill tank

9. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

10. BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY LawnSite Member

they sell propane powered ice augers that run on the little Coleman tanks. so i would guess only a matter of time before little propane trimmers and such hit the market.

Whats an ice auger you ask? (southern guys)
    its for those of us in the north who want to be able to fish in the winter on top of a frozen lake.