Propane Powered Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by WildRidge, Oct 18, 2007.

1. WildRidge

WildRidge LawnSite Member

I came across a used GMC C-6500 that is propaned powered, and since I know nothing about propane I thought I would see what you guys thought about it. I am almost willing to bet it is a used Schwan Frozen Food delivery truck because of the color of the cab and I've heard a rumor that their trucks are all propane powered. It's sounds like a nice deal other than the fact of it being a inconvenience to fill up.
  2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i believe they're used mostly for indoor applications
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The truck is probably 366 Power so which means the truck is gutless. The trucks run okay but if you want to climb any hills forget it. Some 6500 Chevs have 4 wheel disk brakes.

What do you plan on using the truck for ?

Propane conversions were very common in B.C. especially on medium duty trucks with gas engines. Every schoolbus fleet that run GMC Bluebirds have propane power. They were converted to propane because propane was really cheap. You used to beable to get propane for 1.30 a gallon but now propane is up to 2.40 a gallon.

The top price on a 6500 GMC on propane would be 10 grand I wouldn't pay anymore than that.
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

if you like gutless pigs i have a 1990 kodiak for sale with a brand new never hauled a load in it yet dumpbed, a 9' fisher plow and a salter.its a great truck as long as you dont load it full of wet dirt and try to pull 20k with it at the same time.
  5. meador56

meador56 LawnSite Member

Work trucks are not race cars. They are not limos. They are for making money something that Gravel Rat cries about not being able too. We used 366's for years they are OK this truck size is not real fast with any motor. Are you in business to make money or what. 550,s with XLT pack,s and the guys got one nice truck. I just don't see why you need big diesels, custom paint, loaded work trucks to drive around local in. Go make some money and buy you a toy or some real estate not a 50K truck that you can sell in 10 yrs for 8K.
  6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

theres a propane company that i tow some of their trucks at my pt job and most of their trucks are propane powered from the bulk tanks
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You can't even give away medium duty trucks on propane. If your looking at a single axle dump or any single axle go diesel. You buy a underpowered truck it makes driving the truck twice as hard. Your constantly shifting and if the truck has a 2spd even worse. Then with propane trucks your dealing with the headaches of propane if you don't have stations close that carry propane. In the colder months propane can be a pain. You let a gas powered truck sit it becomes a cranky sucker to start.
  8. backhoe1

backhoe1 LawnSite Member

My father owns a fairly large ldscp co, that has 2 exschwan medium duty trucks. For the money you can't beat them. they are very well maintained and in good condition. One must also consider the price difference of fuel as propane is considerably cheaper. No hesitation to buy more here.
  9. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

a co worker at where i work has a Propane Powered 1993 ford f150 2wd