Propane Prowler!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green King, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a thread on here about Dixie Chopper and there propane mower. I was talking to my dealer today and he was telling me Encore has a Propane unit comming as well. The diffrence among several diffrences is the Dixe uses a generac air cooled engine. Which is probably pretty good. The Encore is using a 31hp three cylinder water cooled dihatsu engine which I know is real good!
    Just thought I would pass it along!

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets see, right now I carry gas, mix gas, and diesel on days we use the wide-area-mower. So if I got a propane mower, even more fuel types.

What's the advantage? Propane engines make less power than the identical gas engine.

Propane may be a bit cheaper right now but that's likely to fluctuate.

On this note, I wouldn't mind a CNG truck. Since we don't leave town, a CNG truck would be dirt cheap to operate now, CNG is at something like a $1.25/gallon equivalent.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The main push in some areas is pollution. They claim that we will be faced with reducing our pollution by a certain percentage or face stiff fines. At least that is what we are hearing in our area. Engine life is supposed to be significantly improved, don't know about that?

4. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like something that would be good for California. One thing I'd like to know is how long does a bottle of LPG last for? Also, how much does it weigh?

5. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

A full standard BBQ tank weighs in at about 35 to 40lbs, two would be 70 to 80lbs. I would guess that it would be lighter based on the capacity of your gas mowers. I think my Hustlers hold 12 gallons which translates to about 96lbs or so at full capacity.

6. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

When is encore suppose to launch the propane mower? I am interested especially if it has the dihatsu engine on it!

Green King do you have an idea on pricing?

7. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Other than enviromental reasons I don't see why anyone would want propane. The main reason I say this is you would be very limited where you can fill up. I wouldn't want to have to stop at the local tool rental to fill up my propane powered mower in the morning and then go to the gas station after that for gasoline.

8. Green King

Rebel I do not know the pricing or availabilty yet. Give alex a call!

See you out there!

9. Green King

I thought the prowler was getting a 3cylinder dihatsu on it. But looking at the enviroguard mower that has a briggs big block.