1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Propane Torch Wand for Weeds?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by AltaLawnCare, Dec 23, 2001.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone tried one of these for spot weeding?

I was thinking of using it in gravels to get the weeds. ;)
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

These do work well, but you may still wish to use a non-selective herbicide first to "dry-out" weed for faster burn off.

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

Billy, Saw a man using one on the do it yourself program on cable T.V. He said it work, just have to make sure you hold it on the weeds long enough.
  4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt I'll fool with it - probably not worth the trouble, not to mention the possibility of setting something on fire!

Usually, the quick easy way turns out to be the worst way to do something!
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

torch wanda works great on chain link fences and other places that a weed whooper has a hard time. The trick is to just heat the tops of the grass under the chain link fence and wait for it to die. Just walk very quick and allow the flame to sinch the leaves or blades.

Also as stated above use a herbicide and allow weed to turn brow then come back and burn them out of rock mulch or where ever. Burning is the oldest form of lawn mowing or land clearing known to man. good luck