Propane: Trucks Vs. Mowers, Same Fuel?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by jbell36, Mar 17, 2013.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

this sounds like a dumb question, but when i started looking deeper into propane it looks like vehicles are fueled by liquid propane and mowers are fueled by vapor propane, is this correct?

it would be nice to have an onsite fueling station that has ONE type of fuel, not multiple tanks with multiple types of fuel

2. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

got the answer today...

propane is initially a liquid but can be turned into a vapor, it all depends on the system on the engine, it can be liquid injection or vaporized...

i'm by no means a pro but that is what i collected today

3. JCA1

JCA1 LawnSite Member

Yes, propane is transferred and stored as a liquid under pressure. It is almost always trying to vaporize due to a very low boiling point. What determines whether the gas drawn from a container is liquid or vapor is where it's drawn from( liquid space or vapor space). Liquid systems and vapor systems are to entirely different systems due to the very different characteristics of liquid and vapor.

4. cimkill

cimkill LawnSite Senior Member

I just got my chevy 2500 6.0 liter, converted to propane it has a computerized fuel injection system for the propane. It is almost getting the same mpg as it did on gas, it's amazing being that my other chevy 1500 with the older propane system gets about 6-8mpg less when using propane. I believe this new system uses the liquid but am not sure will call the installer to find out for you guys.

5. cimkill

Terry metro whats the price of the system for a 27hp kohler carbureted? It's on my hustler which is the only machine I have that's not converted to propane.

6. cimkill

fx1000 kawasaki on a hustler super z hd. Thanks terry need that info pretty quickly if you can thanks.

7. cimkill

Thank you Terry appreciate it.

8. cimkill

Anything still waiting, need to know price soon.