Propellers on mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lanelle, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I received the following notice in the lawnandlandcape email newsletter today. Does it strike anyone else as being rather odd?

"BRILLION, Wis. - About 40,000 Ariens, Scotts and Husqvarna brand lawnmowers are being recalled due to fears the propeller can detach and injure users. The Brillion-based manufacturer, Ariens Co., has received four reports of a broken piece shooting from under mowers, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said."

Since when do mowers have propellers? And since when does a professional industry magazine refer to mowers as having propellers or have I missed something out there in the industry all these years? http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/news/news.asp?Id=510

[Edited by Lanelle on 03-21-2001 at 01:24 AM]

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, Husqvarna afterall, IS the maker of the original "hover mower."

3. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

Ariens has a little plastic prop on the shaft between the
    engine to the pto for cooling .
    If it came off and hit someone they were under the mower
    and probley ran over themself anyway, so whats the recall
    for it's just natures way of culling defects. LOL

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

You mean yaw dont have that yet .Just do somebodys
    yd then hit the propeller button and jet on over to your next.Gotta watch them power lines though.Theyll clip your wings right quick.:)

5. linky

linky LawnSite Member

These mowers must be designed for wet conditions-very wet conditions

6. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

In all seriousness, I think we all know its one of those "educated idiots" that we the voter have allowed to get a cushy job and tell us what to do and not do.

I wonder if they know how to sharpen that propeller?

But my real guess is they must think it has one 'cause it sounds loud. I wish that slow stewardess would hurry up with my drink.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I put a Propeller on the back of my truck, in the hitch. It makes the truck go faster and doubles the fuel milage!

8. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Those people are really out-of-it! Dont they realize that professionals like us changed over to jet powered mowers years ago?

9. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Everyones a commedian. They are probably talking about the cooling fins on the hydro pumps, if they have them. Russ