Proper Glass for stick welder?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by mpflood, Mar 31, 2003.

1. mpflood

mpflood LawnSite Member

Hi,
    Could someone please tell me the proper glass for eye protection. I will be using a 220 volt buzz box(stick welder)
    looking to buy a helmet,don't know what to buy.Thanx
    Mike Flood
    :confused:

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i would say a 12-14 lens for 220

3. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

220 has nothing to do with it , a 10 or higher for arc welding / mig /tig . Get a book on welding , many good safety things in them you need to know .

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn LawnSite Member

I use a 10 everyday but have also used a 9 in the past,if your a beginner i would go for a 9 or 10 just so you can see what the hexx your doing,i hate darker lenses.

On another topic though,how about getting an auto helmet?

5. mpflood

mpflood LawnSite Member

apreciate the responses.i took metals for 4 years in high school
    just need practice ,used someone elses helmet, but now need one.
    auto helmet , i know you love em arc but not practical 4 me
    thanks again
    mike flood

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

oops, i thought i had seen something about voltages and lens darkness in a book, but a 10-14 is MY ideal range , i am currently using #10's in my helmets

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you can't see get a magnifying lense for your helmet it helps for the people that can't see up close my dad has one in his helmet I can't use it. He also runs a #10 shade its too light for my eyes when I was welding 8 hours a day a #12 wasn't dark enough if your running mig tig or aluminum you need to use #12 or #14.

My brother has gone for all his certifications I never did persue welding I have 10 years of experience but I don't weld anymore my eyes can't take it. When I worked in our welding shop I used togo home with head aches and sore eyes had enough of it then again we use 1/8 to 1/4" welding rod. You know when you can't straighten your fingers and you got a perminant claw you know you have been welding too long. Our two main welders are 3 phase 400 amp DC units they got a 100% duty cycle you can burn box after box of rod with no problems the stinger gets so hot you gotta cool it off with some water.