1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Proper Grading

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by blaze347, Mar 14, 2004.

1. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

I have about 3 acres of ground that I need to grade. My house is sitting "up" ok, but the rest of the yard is holding water. It is a brand new yard that was a farmfield, so I have a lot of work to do. All the "experts" in my family tell me once I get grass planted that this will take care of the problem. I know it will help, but it is not going to take care of the problem. I dont want to buy $3000 worth of seed to have the grass turn yellow and die because of the standing water. What is the best way to go about getting a good grade on this ground? I have all the equipment at my disposal(one of the above mentioned experts is my father in law that does every aspect of landscaping except the grass part...trees, mulch, backhoe rental etc..)Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

When we use to farm we used drainage/field tile (perforated), especialy on flater ground. You will need to run it to a ditch or out on the lowest part of your property.
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

drain tile is the way to go, you really don't want to get into having more top soil brought in, that can get extremely costly fast and may not solve the problem.