Proper sharpening technique

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by 1998tahoe, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't have one of these, but generally, a 1/2 hp 120 volt motor will pull about 10 amps.

2. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Do not remove it, and yes it should grind the entire angle to sharpen the edge hence keeping the proper angle. The guide is there to keep the blade flat and straight. Adjust the wheel.

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using the coursest grit disc from HD or Lowes but they don't seem to last very long.

How much longer do the tiger discs last?

Magna Magic unit is in my very near future. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

The only reason why i use a tiger paw is because it doesnt make as many sparks as a regular grinding disc, and they are more forgiving on the mower blade if you make a mistake.

They last a pretty good while. I can make mine last for about 10 or so sharpenings of a set of 3 blades.

5. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

what is the difference between a magnamatic sharpener and a bench grinder? I dont see much difference besides you can set the angle on it.

I mean, for that kind of money, you should be able to just slide the blade in and it pop out sharp automatically! I just dont see any justification for the ridiculously high price of these magna matic units.

6. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

For starters I always sharpen at 45 degrees. I use a simple machinists protractor to check angle. Just my preference. I read earlier someone said they sharpen at 30?

As your blades dull the very edge of the cutting edge will wear away before the back of the cutting edge. So as the blade becomes dull, the angle on the cutting edge actually becomes closer to 90 degrees, or perpendicular.

So as I hold my 45 degree edge I have always found that I begin removing material from the back side of the cutting edge material and the freshly removed cutting edge portion spreads towards the cutting edge until it is sharp once again.

Occasionally I will just touch up a fairly sharp blade with a file but that really does not hold the 45 degree angle I go after and actually makes more work for me later down the road.

Just don't continually sharpen the front edge of the blade until it's sharp or the angle of your blade will change every time you sharpen.

^^my two cents^^ :)

7. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

I wanted a blade sharpener, but when I saw the price. I got a used grinder and a file

8. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

The Bradley units seem about the best value for a dedicated sharpner

9. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a Oregon, the biggest one they have thinking its 1 1/2 hp grind my 72'' mowers. Going on third year on the stone wheel.
    The key is to sharpen the blades daily and the stone will last. That might sound wrong, If I let set go more then 2 days takes more then 2 passes to get edge back vs daily it only takes 2 passes to edge back on.