proper shoes for mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fireman scott, May 8, 2001.

1. fireman scott

fireman scott LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. I have been mowing lawns ever since i was able to push a mower.. now i have been in my own business for over two years now and i love it.. for years now i have been mowing with mid height, football cleats.. these are very very comfortable and they provide an excellent means of traction, ankle support, and piece of mind on hill side weed trimming . try them out and see for your self.. i promise you will be satisfied
  2. i know people who mow in sneakers. i personally wear red wing logger boots now. i am very comforable in them. i also know people who buy special sneakers for cutting lawns. yes they do make them. they are made of a special material i think. i am not gonna try to talk you out of mowing in cleats, however do think about what kind of protection they offer you? i know that what i wear when i mow is supposed to be resistant to chemicals, has a steel toe, goes well up past my ankle, has a good vibram sole, i can go on from there. but it is late. maybe you should try getting some good work boots? i have tried cutting in sneakers before and trash them within the first week
  3. dhicks

dhicks Member

I like wearing golf shoes.
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the red wing boots and they are comfortable to work in, but when it gets hot, I have a pair of new balance cross trainers and they are great, and last the season before trashing them,except if I will be on a ladder or when I have to use a shovel to dig up stuff.
  5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnboy well said, i use a double steel toe boat and its also protects my feet against chemicals. it has a double sole for more comfort and comes up well past my ankles. what you need is a great work boot with a steel toe, protection against chemicals, and comfort for 9 hours a day.
  6. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

I just bought a pair of wolverine boots and I love them. I will try out the football cleats today though. I will let you know how they work.
  7. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

I like wearing sandals,they go with my flowered shirt.
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave've may have seen this down here ==> bare feet ! .....seen it plenty of times ........ myself boots in winter .......sneakers in summer for mowing on any landscape work
  9. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

Steve you ain`t lyin`....I`ve seem them mowing customers in bare feet,with cutoffs ,and no shirt.Thats a great image for the customers.These rednecks will wear anything.
    I was serious about the flowered shirt though!:D
  10. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

First off, I'm not an LCO :eek: (I'm in the welding trade) and I realize that personal preference plays a large part in choosing footwear. I have never been a big fan of the traditional steel-toed work boot, but I'm required to wear protective footwear at my job. A type of boot I find comfortable is a "rigger" or "ironworker" boot: they have a flat sole which is quite flexible and they give good support at the ankle. I've never actually weighed them, but they feel a lot lighter than regular work boots.

Only real drawback I've found is the sole, being flexible, is soft & wears fairly quickly. That may not be as big a problem on dirt/grass as it is on concrete/steel!